specific 1979 z28 emblems and trim questions

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by alanJ, May 24, 2017.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I still have my build sheet and a lot of other documentation .Z-28 was a performance package,Ralley Sport is a Trim package. And mine had all sorts options on it. (A/c Cruise Control,Sound deadening .cruise control etc.)

2. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    I thought the base model's got this shape emblem but with red, white and blue bars?

The grill emblem should be a triple black bar for a 79.
    [​IMG]
    (All models got the same grill emblem in 79).[/QUOTE]

3. rodebcada

rodebcada New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    nc
    just found this from oer. part 14008892 front grill emblem for 79 Camaro(black and silver). must be a new product they offer it for 79.99 but are waiting on their first shipment from the manufacturer. actually called to verify it's not the fuel door emblem.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Red, white and blue was used on 78 base models, RS and LT.

In 80 & 81, Non-Z28 (Base model, RS and Berlinetta) emblems looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    Berlinetta emblems had a different base to fit the extra horizontal trim piece across the rear.

There was no RS in '81 but the '80 RS also got an "RS" emblem on the driver's side of the grill along with the above emblem in the center.

5. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
  6. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    While it will fit a 79 grill...
    upload_2017-5-25_13-43-52.png
    That one is for a 78.

7. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    so im understanding this......the correct emblem for my z28 is the black and chrome emblem...that no one makes? and it goes in the center of grill and center of gas cap lid......correct on all accounts?

As far as the rear chrome edge piece in 1979 a z28 did not come with it? only reason i asked was i had a 1980 z and it had the chrome trim piece I speak of and it had blacked out windshield molding front and rear.. i do know they change from year to year. I thought my car would look really well with this chrome piece to match the drip rail........hmmmmm. thank you for everyone that took the time to respond. 25842.jpeg 25876.jpeg 25876.jpeg

8. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Blacked out front and rear window trim was what a 79 Z28 got from factory.
    The drip rails were not blacked out.
    The car pictured looks correct, except for the missing 79 grill emblem.

9. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    and that emblem is available for both the front and rear ? If i added the chrome molding on the hood rear.....that would not be a factory option...just my personal preference then.

10. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The chrome molding on the rear of the hood also included chrome tips on the fenders and a chrome strip just below the door windows. (Fastened to the door with welded studs)

I believe a Z28 could have been equipped with that option but using only the hood trim would look out of place.

The 79 gas filler door emblem has been available (reproduction) for a couple of years.
    I haven't actually seen one for the grill but companies are taking orders for them, I guess.