specific 1979 z28 emblems and trim questions

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by alanJ, May 24, 2017.

1. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    Hi guys...just purchased a nice 79 z, googling some piks i notice that some 79's have a grille emblem and some do not. mine has the std vinly z28 emblem on the front facia...but im speaking of the center of the grill. I believe its the same emblem that is on the rear gas tank door? mine has nothing but yet ive seen cars online with and without. any ryhme or reason for this ? also i notice there is chrome trim on the windshield end of the hood...and two lil pieces that match i believe on the front fenders....my car doesnt have that....i would think it should have it to match the chrome drip rails above the side glass. although my front and rear glass trim is painted flat black. any info would be appreciated...thanks alot.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The trim pieces on the hood, fender tips and doors were optional.

The grill emblem should be a triple black bar for a 79.
    [​IMG]
    (All models got the same grill emblem in 79).

3. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    thank you very much very helpful....now i just have to find one...

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro. When it was stock It had Z -28 Badges in the grill and the Gas cap door. The Camaro Emblem shown by Twisted_Metal was in the center front grill .Z-28 Grill ,head light bucket,Tail light and window trim.Are all black.Bow Tie cars are silver. I had some Extra trim because it has the Ralley Sport option .My Car is complexity different now.But that was my choice.Another good place to check is if you have a local Camaro Club

Attached Files:

5. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    As twisted metal says. the 79 Z/28 did not have Z/28 on the grill or gas cap door, just the emblem that he attached -and it was not an option in 79.
    I have had my Camaro since 1979 and the Z/28 was all stickers.

Attached Files:

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Mine sure had it ,But it had the Ralley Sport option as well.

7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Z28 trim is black...Berlinetta trim is chrome. You can find the emblems and badges on-line in typical places...Ground up, Classic, Ecklers, etc.

Now...how about some pics??

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Read here --> http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro79.html#79-RS

Your Z28 may have had some optional pieces which came with an RS but there was no such thing as an RS/Z28 in 1979.
    The two models were mutually exclusive.

9. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    Twisted_Metal is right on both accounts. My '79 Z had options which were found on the Berlinetta like the custom interior and extra sound deadening but it was not considered a Z/28 with the Berinetta option.

10. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    Sorry to say but I don't believe anyone reproduces the grill emblem.