Speakers speakers... what to choose?

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by ISRcamaro, May 26, 2017.

1. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Israel
    I have 1980 Z28. The car came with KENWOOD KDC-122U that I'm not looking to replace cause it look fine to me and it works. Most of my uses are just listening to the radio, connecting the cell or connecting USB with music on it.

I know nothing about cars audio or cars electric but I need to replace my front speaker. The rears are working (although it's not a problem to replace them too if needed) but the front speaker is totally dead. Anyone care to share with me some cars audio wisdom? How to pick speakers and what will be good to my Camaro since there are only speakers at the dash and none at the kick\ door panels (Not intended to drill there and install speakers there).

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    My receiver is a JVC KD-G720 20W RMS x 4 ch.
    [​IMG]

I used my orig front single mount and cut it to fit 2 JBL GTO327 3-1/2" 25W RMS, 75W peak 2 ohm speakers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear 6x9 Infinity 9633cf 100W RMS, 300W peah, 2 ohm speakers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Israel
    how did you know what kind to pick?

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I took a chance with this speaker from Custom Autosound and I am extremely happy with it. It's a dual voice coil, bracketed 4x10. Fits in stock location and has the bracket attached. I figured while I was putting the Vintage Air in, it was wide open. And I didn't want to hack up the console, door panels or kick panels.
    http://www.custom-autosound.com/

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
  6. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Ohm rating and watts. Lower the ohms for my deck=more balls thru the speakers. Plus reviews on the brand.

7. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Israel
    I just noticed I'm missing the bracket for the 2 3.5" speakers. I guess that why there was only 1 oval 4X10" speaker.
    Is it possible to get this bracket so the new speakers will sit good?

How can I fit the Ohm and watts to my needs? how do I know what will be good to me?

Attached Files:

8. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Find an old factory junk 6x9 speaker and make a bracket. Save the magnet for your mount.

9. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Israel
    Thanks for the help COPO!

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    National Parts Depot sells an upgrade dash speaker I used that is a good one. I will say though in my opinion the doors are the most important location for speakers in terms of sound quality. Invest your efforts there with the best / biggest speaker you can manage.