Sound Deadener

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Printstron, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Printstron

Printstron Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I know we have all been though the sound deadener thing a few times, but I have another question.

I have two different kits that I can pull from and was thinking it would be nice to use both as it would maximize my total coverage area. One kit is the basic repo kit like this: http://www.ss396.com/camaro/ICK-0137.html

And the other is about 50 sq/ft of this:
    http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro-2mm-butyl-vibration-sheets-12-x-20/

I also have have about 40 sq/ft of this:
    http://store.secondskinaudio.com/lu...d-vinyl-closed-cell-foam-1-sheet-24x54-9sqft/

My question is what do you guys think the quality of the repo stuff is? Can I use the top two together without any loss in quality? The repo stuff is a bit lighter more like asphalt than the Second skin, but from the way I see it it is more about total coverage.

2. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I'm surprised, no opinions?

I am just interested if I can eat up a bunch of square footage using the stock style stuff and have enough of the rest to cover other areas. Without a loss in quality of course.

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    I like to use peel n seal from Lowe’s. Most of the corvette people use it, that’s how I found out about it

Blown Camaro likes this.
  4. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Peel N Seal. 2 cars so far. Boy, does it work! My blower car was so loud inside my ears were ringing after a few miles. Not anymore. Also my right foot would sweat from the trans heat. That's gone too.

5. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I already have all the products I listed above. I guess I was just looking or validation to use the Repo stuff then fill in the rest with the second skin audio stuff.

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I've used Noico products off of amazon twice now. They make the butyl-backed product as well as the closed cell foam "gasket" material. I put the butyl/foil material down first, then covered it in the "gasket" foam. Next, I used mass-loaded vinyl sheeting that I got from Home Depot (online only - used for sound insulating behind sheetrock) and finally ACC carpet with the mass backing.

Check out sound deadener showdown (google it) for instructions/ideas/other products. They are THE source for THE BEST sound insulation materials. Period. They can be spendy though, so I just followed their process with cheaper materials.

I did this on my 86 crew cab pickup and noticed a significant difference in both temperature and sound entry into the truck. I have true dual flowmaster super 44s that drone BAD and this project helped with that a lot.

I think going this route was the cheapest way to do the "full monte" of insulation and am happy with the results. I'm in the process of doing the same again on the camaro.

7. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I decided not to use the pre cut stock style deadener. It fit poorly. I think I will just load up on the floor boards and sail panel areas with the Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro. Whatever is left will go on the doors. I will probably put it out in patches instead of edge to edge as the floors are spray lined already. I have seen some put it on the inside of the doors (on the inner skin). Is this worth it?

The closed cell foam insulation will be laid out and taped edge to edge. From what I have read the dampening material is mainly to add to the weight of the sheet metal and dampen the resonant frequency, but the Luxury Liner Pro (closed cell) needs to be a complete system. with no gaps.