Sound deadener

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by sevitz5, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    This is a really old thread but for me yes the peel and seal worked well to dampen the vibration of the metal to make the car quieter. One thing most people against asphalt based products is that the factory black sound deadener that GM used under the carpet is asphalt based. I put the reproduction version back in my Chevelle wagon along with peel and seal, foil faced jute and mass backed carpeting. It is quiet and comfortable with no odor. The road heat and noise are kept out and the AC works well on low to keep the entire wagon interior comfortable.

2. Radio Joe

Radio Joe New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I just did this in my car- Peel n seal from lowes. Ive done it to other cars in the past and been happy with it. I even put it on the ceiling- never droops or leaks when its hot. I heat it up real warm with a heat gun before sticking it down. I put down one layer running front to back, then a second layer side to side. Made a big difference and price is much more reasonable than the car audio stuff.

There is another product people were using from lowes that was a sticky foam with a foil backing. I dont recommend that product. I did peel n seal in my corvette and then used the other product on top of it.. over time the foil peeled off the foam. So I just stick with straight peel n seal.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thing is...I feel Peel and Seal does nothing for heat and noise. It will obviously dampen vibration of the sheet metal, but if you want heat and noise reduction look into something other then Peel and Seal.

4. Radio Joe

Radio Joe New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Yes of course- Peel n seal (or dyna Mat) is a dampening material. If you want heat reduction or you want the car as quiet inside as a modern car, then you will need something else. Driving a car that has the peel n seal added is much more enjoyable for me.

Philip likes this.
  5. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Mine has held up beautifully. There is no odor. It has been 3 years since and several brutal Florida summers. I just finished doing my next project with Peel & Seal as well. Without it, my blower motor and exhaust system was so loud inside the car my ears were ringing after 10 minutes! Now, I can have a normal conversation while driving at moderate speeds. Nobody can tell me this stuff doesn't work! I also have 2 12" subwoofers in my Camaro and NO rattles no matter how loud the bass is. I did the firewall, floors, seat divider & package tray. This car is EXTREMELY loud outside the car (Dynomax 3" Race Bullets with a roots blown small block) but not bad inside. If I put the windows up you can almost whisper. It made that much difference! I used the 3 foot wide stuff for fewer seams, new factory sound deadener pads on top of that, mass backed molded carpet, then the thickest floormats I could find (YES that's makes a difference!)

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
  7. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Great to hear about the positive results from everyone. I went to my local Lowe's and Home Depot, but no one seemed to carry it. I can order it online, though. What size should I order and how much of it if intend to do the floor and possibly seat divider of the interior?