Some racing questions from the new guy.

Discussion in 'Track Day, Solo, AutoX & Sanctioned Road Racing' started by PrestonNB, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Hyperion_Kennel

Hyperion_Kennel Member

Jan 6, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Look up the Reno SCCA, good people and they will help you. If hillclimbs are your thing theres a few just north of you, you could race against me if I ever get my Camaro together.

2. z28cp

z28cp Veteran Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Bellevue, NE
    That's a loaded question, lol. At the National level, you will see everything from a 302 to a 406, HP from 400 to 700+. My new motor is a Brodix aluminum 406, AFR 220 heads, big solid roller, and so on. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

For the local level, just your typical warmed up 350 will probably be plenty. Like I said, it just depends on how fast you want to go.

3. PrestonNB

PrestonNB New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Reno, NV
    I have heard about some of those hill climb races around here. Especially down toward Las Vegas. I will have to check those out for sure.

4. PrestonNB

PrestonNB New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Reno, NV
    For beginning I will probably want a touch less power. Back when I drag raced I started at the bottom and worked my way up.

Basically what I meant to ask was what the restrictions are for the engine size. I know the Trans Am series requires a 302 for the classic Camaro's for example. So I am just trying to figure out what I can legally run since it appears this year of Camaro isn't exactly common in any racing.

Thank you for the reply.

5. z28cp

z28cp Veteran Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Bellevue, NE
    For SCCA Solo, at least in C Prepared, engine size is open. Weight break for 5.0L or smaller.

6. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Do you have any racing experience at this point? If not then you should focus on getting the car built and reliable so you can get some seat time. Once you've run a bit you'll get a feel for what you want different, what class you're most attracted too.

7. Hyperion_Kennel

Hyperion_Kennel Member

Jan 6, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    http://www.nhahillclimb.org/ For more information. Im building my second gen for CP and this.