Some racing questions from the new guy.

Discussion in 'Track Day, Solo, AutoX & Sanctioned Road Racing' started by PrestonNB, Jan 21, 2016.

1. PrestonNB

PrestonNB New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Reno, NV
    First, thank you in advance for reading and hopefully I get some help here. So a back story on my car. I have a 1975 Camaro that has basically a race car interior with a roll cage and a lightly built 350. The issue I am having is that I can't find anywhere to road race this car. I checked SCCA and my interior wont fly in their muscle car class from what I can tell. Other racing organizations don't allow my year to race. The cut off is always a couple years before my model.

So the question is, where can I race this without being placed in a class with Corvettes or what would I need to change to make it legal elsewhere? I know this model was used in the IROC series. But I can't find a build sheet or specs on those cars.

Thank you again for reading.

2. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    Race in whatever class you can get in.

3. z28cp

z28cp Veteran Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Bellevue, NE
    A gutted, rollcaged Camaro would fit right in to the C Prepared class in SCCA Solo.

And IROC's ROCK!! :cool:

4. PrestonNB

PrestonNB New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Reno, NV
    They do rock. I found the fender flares and front spoiler already and have them on order.

Would a 350 be a good motor option or what would you recommend to be at least semi competitive.

Thanks.

5. PrestonNB

PrestonNB New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Reno, NV
    The biggest thing holding me back is that I don't want to get stuck running against some ridiculous race prepared z06 or something. You know what I mean?
    I am already saving for either a Detroit Speed or Hotchkis suspension upgrade. Both have some killer kits. Anyway, any advice on getting this thing competitive would be greatly appreciated.

6. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    Can't help much with the road racing stuff. But I can ask for pictures! [​IMG] Lets see what your working with. Nice to see another '75

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  7. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    Every race you don't run is experience lost. It doesn't matter what class you are in, it matters that you get out and drive. The precise legality of your interior would probably be a moot point until you start winning.

8. PrestonNB

PrestonNB New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Reno, NV
    That is a great point. Thanks for the perspective.

9. PrestonNB

PrestonNB New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Reno, NV
    Well, I haven't gotten any recent pictures after starting work. But I have one of the poor thing when I went and picked it up. Couldn't even start it. The kid I sold it to ran it out of gas, then jacked up the carb because he didn't know it was out of gas for some reason. Then the best part, he put the fuel filter on backwards. Didn't even know that was possible since there is an arrow on it.
    Anyway, I think I attached that right...If I did this is from during the summer. Doesn't show where it currently is. But it is the best I have right now.
    A run down of what it looks like right now. The wheels are off, paint is gone and it is down to bare metal, interior is sitting in the garage (from a '79 so I have no use for it), hood is gone, and the fuel tank is gone. I will snap some photos when I am down working on it again since it is in California. Snow prevented bringing it to Reno and I couldn't help but start pulling it apart. :crazy:

Attached Files:

10. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    Sounds like you have a good project car and a direction/goal. You came to a great place for help and insight. A cubic ass load of info available, everything from chalk mark restorations, drag and road race to four wheel drive. Keep us posted and don't be shy about asking questions. Good luck with your Big Bumper.