So who's rocking a 2nd gen as a ''track car''?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by mikespeed95, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mikespeed95

mikespeed95 Veteran Member

just curious, will be building mine slanted for track usage over street, how light have y'all gotten these things down to?

pricing a lot of parts, but curious if i actually need them.

how hard is it to get a 2nd gen down to 2500# (with ls1)

2. HOLESHOT

HOLESHOT Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2009
    mesa,az
    duno never weighed mine

3. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    2500 wow that's asking a lot out of these things. Your looking at almost a 1000 pounds in reduction. Hope someone has some good ideas and answers for you. One thing to consider is that say you drop a couple hundred pounds by removing interior pieces and you add the cage their goes your advantage on that alone. Gonna be tough.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

With modern tech it's going to be close without major surgery like backhalf.
    Mine weighs 2800 lbs with a filled BBC TD. I could have gotten lower,
    but needed the weight in the rear to get off the line.
    With a lighter engine, super light nose, doors, windows ect ect it might be doable??

One thing to remember is the new chassis certs require a lot more bars.
    So my car won't be 2800 lbs when I go back out.

I would definitely do your build, but don't be upset if it's more around 2650 lbs??
    If it's a nothing special car, I would probably do a basic mini-tub and start gutting.

Keep us posted and any specific ?? ask away.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

there's a thread over on yellowbullet just for 2nd gen camaros and there's quite a few of them right around 2500lbs or less

6. scrapmetal

scrapmetal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Cleburne,Texas
    mine is 2750 with a Dana,turbo 400,big block with grout.Fiberglass and stock front suspention

7. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    07882, NJ
    Link please, I couldn't find it.

I see the O.P.'s sig mentions "pro tour/drift" so I wonder if he is talking road track type ??

Need to know what overall goal is. Like how many "creature" comforts do you need? Wipers, heat, ac, etc.

My 80 was right about 3000 w/ all iron sbc/th350/10 bolt, no creature comforts/HVAC/wipers etc, MB, MS, and all steel aside from bolt on glass hood, full tank of gas.

I don't think 2500 is out of the question if gutted is acceptible. I just pulled my old m/t and sold it to fund/begin installing an L92/6L90 combo that should loose a few more pounds. If you swap to alot of fiberglass and lexan windows with tubular front susp and single or split mono rear springs, you should be close.

There are alot of ways to shave pounds other than the obvious mentioned above, just need to look around.

Joe

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

here ya go :

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143179&highlight=how+lite+is+your+camaro

9. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    07882, NJ
  10. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    wow some of those cars are light, I take my earlier post back :eek: