So terribly sad...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Very sad. I agree with those who feel 60-80mph is too fast for kids that age. Jr. Dragster is supposed to be a launching place for kids to learn drag racing and have fun while they are doing so. However, this sport has turned into a wallet measuring contest for too many idiot big buck parents. They spend huge sums on paint jobs and going faster than 'that other kid'. They push their kids, like a dance mom, past their limits for their own bragging rights. Sad.

bodymanbill likes this.
  2. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Very tragic and sad, RIP Anita :(

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Should be a "crate motor" class and DQ'd for running too fast. It is stoopid to send an 8 year old down the track that fast. You can't tell me that anyone involved hasn't realized that possibility hasn't crossed anyone's mind.

Detrailers and Smokey15 like this.
  4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Have a $50 no-contest claimer rule put in place. You want to win so bad,be prepared to lose your investment.

Smokey15 likes this.
  5. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    That is a horrible enforcement, the point of safety would be a ceiling on the speed for children that young - not what they are willing to lose on a claimer rule.

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not only Jr Dragster's but a lot of different Racing organizations have racing for kids as a feeder program for more advanced racing divisions

Out here in Central Calif a NASCAR sanctioned track called Madera Speedway has a racing division called Jr Late models were kids 8yrs old to 16yrs old race NASCAR spec pavement Late models , only exception is they have sealed crate motors . This Racing division is a feeder series into NASCAR ARCA Series

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Yeah, you are probably right. It's easy to underestimate the lengths folks with too much money will go to just to "win".

9. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

If I recall, the kids her age top out at 45mph. Only the top classes with the 12+ age kids reach the higher speeds.
    Something or someone screwed up here on her set up or safety equipment and they need to let it be known specifically what before it happens to someone else.
    Godspeed Anita :(

Smokey15 likes this.
  10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    The problem with Juniors can be attributed to the parents as well. They are the ones trying to one up each other and have their kids brainwashed into following them. The parents will spend 20 grand on a car that their kid will outgrow in 2 or 3 years(because the kid is already older). The parents are the ones with the diesel pusher motorhomes and 40 foot trailers etc. I have seen some crazy stuff. The parents really push these kids and the kids buy into it. This is why I see so many 17 and 18 year olds being put into 180+ mph super comp cars as soon as they get out of their juniors. I hope something is learned from this.

Dave Nelson and Smokey15 like this.