so just how loud is 50 db???

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 67lemanster, Oct 1, 2007.

1. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yup.. lol i was just looking at a cheapie SPL meter on radio shack website. Costs 44 bucks... I might buy one just for giggles to measure my ehaust:cool:

2. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2003
    I AM ILK
    thats the beauty john it will go on an ar 15 of mine but i can put a 22lr conversion upper on it and it will be whisper quiet. lol now what did i do with that night vision scope?????????????? ;)

3. rogerh

rogerh Veteran Member

That's the damn truth! My wife calls it selective hearing. :(

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    It will only be whisper quiet with sub-sonic loads.
    A silencer only cuts the noise of the muzzle blast.

When a bullet breaks the sound barrier, it still makes a pop.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    But then the lead hits the target before the target gets to hear it and flinch. It goes Pop, but it's too late at that point.

6. Nate81camaro

Nate81camaro Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2006
    lost
    FYI:

Rewind to 2001. It was my Junior Auto-Tech year in HS when we had a "field day". Basically, an all day BBQ thing at my Vocational School. We also had a local car stereo place come and had a "sound off" (kids competing to see who had the loudest stereo system).

Well, my class decided to bring out the early 80's 3rd gen we built and see how loud the exhaust was. Did you know open headers on a SBC at 6500ish rpms would measure at around 140db (IIRC). That was when they stuck the mic underneath the car near the headers.

I'm just waiting for the photoshop of Tommy in tactical gear with a silenced M4/M16 and running squirrels in the background. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  7. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's pretty loud Nate... prolly shouldn't put your head near them open headers then... lol;)

8. Nate81camaro

Nate81camaro Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2006
    lost
    *Staring into space with a smile*

Yes, yes it was :)

9. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2003
    I AM ILK
    nate you will never see that. lol i might like toys but i am not a soldier of fortune wanta be. it will be used on piggies and other nocturnal critters

and yes john is absolutely right target hit then a pop. hehehehehehe. good thing those pesky bullets are faster than the speed of sound, huh :)

10. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    No need for a silencer in that situation.