So I want to start my own business...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for the detailed outline, I will use this as a guideline and as for used or cheaper blaster, its the Dustless system. Don't know of a less expensive way to get in. I posted a link to the company, take a look if you havent already...Its a really nice turnkey setup...

2. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

May 29, 2001
    Orlando, Fla
    Yeah, all the taxes and other stuff are a pain. I have a side business, and it's not all that difficult. Whats hard is the small stuff.

What is hard, is finding business at a price that makes it worth your while. How much can you make on these side jobs, and how many will you get ? If you can make $5k in a weekend, and you can get one or two jobs a month, that would pay off that debt fast. Or is it $500 for a weekend job, and you get two a month if you are lucky ? It's not the first job that's a problem, it's the tenth, twelfth, or fifty seventh that's the issue.

Do you have a place to work ? I imagine blasting in your back yard might be an issue.

I use my side jobs ( network engineer ) as play money. Pays for toys, emergency expenses, movies... I don't need it, but I like it. With $35k of debt on your back you won't have that option. You'll have to work those side jobs.

How do you feel about chasing people down for money after a job ? I hate that part.

Decide now how much your weekend and family time is worth now. You wont be able to blow off a big job that takes you out of town for two weeks. You have kids ?

My biggest concern would be making enough to pay off the equipment. If you can do that fast, then I say go for it.

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Do your fishing around with companies that have heavy equipment or trucking companies. Paint gets routinely worn off, and people may want some of their older equipment slaighted for auction to get a facelift also. You might want to buddy up with an industrial painter, not everyone wants to be left with a bare steel job. Excavators, semi trailers, dump truck boxes, dozers, etc.
    Townships and county highway departments are especially enthusiastic about keeping their heavy equipment looking fresh.

4. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    I would start it up on the side & work it to a full time gig. You will need to have at least 6 months operating capitol before going it alone.Just my two cents.

5. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

From an operations standpoint, is it possible for the business you are looking to start cause interaction with your present employer? Meaning, you get a customer who wants you to do a job, but it will take a straight week to accomplish this. How would you handle this with your present employer?

I've seen this happen a handful of times and the individual lost their job because they started to call in, use personal time. sick time, vacation and so on. Just be a little careful.

6. jdove

jdove Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Chattanooga,TN
    You might try SBA's website and check the local office. It might work better.

Good luck.

Jim

7. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

You may want to consider leasing the equipment instead of buying it right from the start, if things work out you can consider buying it, if they don't you can always return it.

8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    there is NOTHING like the feeling of pride when owning your own business

I would never ever quit my m-f 7-4 day job (been thee 14 years & it's a cakewalk..and pays great) but if something would happen there then I'll be taking Lar's Muscle Parts to a whole new level

OP...you only live once

also I'm a firm believer in NEW equipment - nothing is worse when just starting out & you need to make excuses why your bargain basement machine is down

9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    If you're already "just plain tired," how is a butt-busting blasting job going to help that? You aren't a young man anymore, no?

Also, if you've been in the business you're in for 20 years, any option to advance? Then you could work on making the changes in the workplace you're after, make it better for everyone.

I think that most folks who start their own businesses are already in fields that they've got lots of experience in, and just "took it to the next level." Something to consider, as this has a strong "grass is greener" vibe to it.

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    A few questions for those self employed......
    Don't you get to writeoff all your business expenses from your profits , therefore reducing your total outlay??

Not that one......you're gettin butt raped.

My annual cell phone bill is $528 including taxes with unlimited everything and a phablet I prepaid for.
    Verizon does offer prepay as well ALOT cheaper then their contract plans that are way overpriced these days.

Glad to see your self employment is rockin tho broski. Keep it up. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.