So Happy, to OH NO, to Happy and now still no power!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by parker36, Oct 29, 2017.

1. parker36

parker36 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    So I've been waiting over 20 years to get this car up and running again....17 of them another person had bought my first car and had it in storage until I bought it back from him. It's a 1979 Camaro and to make the story short, I just picked it up from the place that put the new motor in and got it running. Was driving it home and couldn't wipe the smile off my face until I stopped for gas and the car would not start and had no power at all. Realized the end of the wire for the inline fuse popped off. I jammed it back in and all was good to get home. Since I've had it home for the past 3 days, I have had no luck getting it started since.

The inline fuse is running off the MSD 6AL and I really didn't know much about this. It has two 100 amp fuses on it and all that I did was take the one off that fell off, and got it cleaned up and applied the heat shrink to it. Now I have lights and buzzer sound for the ignition but it will not even turn over or do anything.

I have checked the fuses inside to make sure they were good, I checked the fuses for inline fuse and nothing popped, I have checked to make sure nothing fell off the neutral safety or that it was not popped off and it seemed good and cannot figure this thing out. The shifter is aftermarket (hurst quicksilver...which I hate and had problems all the way home with it). I am going to switch it out to a B&M shifter. I thought maybe it wasn't getting into park or something but I have messed with this over and over and nothing. I cannot think of anything else at all!!?? I talked to the shop and the guy said he had a little trouble with the radio fuse in the car and that was happening, but I checked this and it was fine. I don't know if maybe I could've blown something else within the MSD or something I am not thinking of.

Just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone knew. I have contacted the shop and they said to call again tomorrow and that they will make sure this does get taken care of, but just trying to see if it is something easy that I am not seeing when I am looking at this. I also will post if nobody knows and the shop does get it fixed to hopefully help someone else out in the future!

2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Try starting it in neutral, or move the shifter while trying to start it. Be very careful. It may start in gear. The shifter could be the problem.

3. parker36

parker36 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    Thank you for the reply and help. I did try this earlier today but I do need to check each position and make sure. I have the new shifter coming tomorrow and maybe that is the problem. As I trace it back I can't see how the inline fuse or anything else would be the problem, because when it did happen the first time, I had just shoved the cable back in and it had the power. The shifter was giving me fits all the way home and tracing it back, I put it in park and it has never started since. I figure something weird could've happened from driving this thing for the first time, but the shop drove this many times before they would verify that it was all set and ready to go for me. Just crazy! Thanks again for the response and I will try this more in the morning.

4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Try bypassing the neutral safety switch. Again be careful of what gear it is in.

5. parker36

parker36 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    So I was gonna try that neutral safety switch but I went through my checklist one more time tonight. I checked every single fuse to make sure they were good and getting power. Then I pulled the console to check the shifter and make sure the wires were hooked up there. I was pulling the 4 wires off and I thought one looked to be already off, but that wasn't the case. I went through each gear to make sure it wouldn't start in any. I went underneath car to check and make sure it wasn't stuck in a weird position or a kink in the linkage. (I did move the linkage just a bit and shook it around). I checked under the hood again for all wires going to starter and made sure nothing fried. Then I was just cleaning everything up and I had a couple of new ring connectors for the inline fuse and one that fit way better than what I had on for the cable running to the car (not to the battery). I connected it and gave it a nice new heat shrink after crimping it and hooked that back up and tried one more time and the dang car fired right up.

Now after all this, maybe there was something else I did that made this work but I don't know! I was under the impression that if I hooked the inline fuse back up and the car was getting power such as the interior light and the headlights and everything worked.....everything except it was pure dead when I went to start it....that the inline fuse was probably okay. Maybe I was completely wrong on this as I haven't worked with these too much before. All in all I am happy that it is up and running again and I got the new B&M shifter today and can focus on that here in the near future. I really appreciate your suggestions with this as well and thank you for taking the time to try and help me out.

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    You are welcome. Glad it's up and running.