Snap-On Box Restoration

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Da_Raabi, Apr 15, 2013.

1. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    I'm going to enjoy your resto on this.

2. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Need the booby pics! And you should paint it to match the Camaro. With some fifth gen Camaro emblems!

3. 70copperZ28

70copperZ28 Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Pflugerville Texas
    Nice! I have one similar that I bought from my uncle for $100 w/tools! I like the pantina so I'll leave it like it is.

[​IMG]

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Nice box! Unfrotunately mine was a little far gone for a quick cleanup, unless stickers count as "patina" lol. I have already started painting the first top box, I'm going with the Sunrise Red spray-can method, so far it looks pretty friggin good. I still have a lot of sanding/re-coating to do in order to make it look really nice though. I'm not sure how I'm going to do the top/bottom yet though. I've always liked the look of a pristine red snap-on box, but I may decide to paint it the color I'm doing on the Camaro:

[​IMG]

5. clean79

clean79 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Katy, TX
    Da Rabbi

Any progress pics? What media did you blast it with?

I have the exact same box and want to do a resto, because it was my Grandfather's box he gave to me, but am not sure who/how to do it right.

I wanted to see if I could pay the local High School shop class to do it right, but they were not interested.

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Actually I did not end up blasting, I have been using sanding wheels to clean the old paint off. Havent made much progress lately but I'll see if I can get some new pics up this week. Take a look at that garagejournal page, they have good info too.