Snap-On Box Restoration

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Da_Raabi, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    So my wife and I went to Sears last week and happened upon a fantastic used-return Craftsman full-size rollaway tool box for $400 (over $750 retail). Fantastic deal... So we went ahead and picked that up for her to use at work. She had an older Craftsman tool cart and a really old Snap-On top box that was a hand-me down from the shop owner, so she gave me the Snap-On box since she didnt need it any more (she uses the cart for working on the bombers). After looking it over, this box looks like a great start for a box restoration, I'm hoping it turns out good (it was free so who can complain!?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have already stripped the stickers off (that was her -- she likes her stickers!) so next step is to pop out the drawers then either sandblasting or DA'ing. I have done some research online and found that PPG makes a good paint match for these older boxes. I'll post more as I get it done!

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Began pulling the drawers

Last night I pulled the drawers and removed all the handles/hardware. Found some treasure inside: a few old receipts, a dollar bill, some boobie pics etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is to blast the whole thing, fill the various holes throughout, then prime it and do some body work! More updates to come!

3. ddc456

ddc456 Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    to bad you are so far away...i have the matching bottom Snap On box but i'm missing the top. hahaha

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yea I've been keeping an eye out for a matching bottom/side box. I'm hoping I can find some used and beat up ones like this and have some fun fixing them up. Never been a big fan of big money tool boxes but I could get into this restoration thing!

5. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Your wife had a dollar and some boobie pics in her tool box?:eek:

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    lol Wow I didnt look at it that way! Actually all the junk was from the previous owner from way back, I think she was the third owner or something, all I know is it all had his name on it and not hers!

She is gonna laugh so hard when I tell her about this...

7. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I have a Snap On box very similar to that one as my track tool box. The old Snap On boxes were built incredibly well, I had the matching bottom box and I sold it some years ago.... the steel they used then was much thicker than what they use today. Even with non roller slides the drawers slid in and out without much effort.

8. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yea its a pretty solid box. The previous previous owner punched a bunch of holes in it for screw driver holders and stuff, so I'm working on welding those up, otherwise its a great box and I cant wait to see it done!

9. EricLee6072

EricLee6072 New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Hamburg, PA
    Guess I'll need to run down to Sears, lol.

10. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Still working on this box, I just started stripping/filling and things are going pretty good. Also, I just scored this bad boy up in Jax for $300. Cant beat it for a larger mid-size box. For perspective, this one is about 8" wider than the box I've been working on!

Oh and excuse the odd green circles, my phone camera has been doing some real funky stuff to me lately...
    [​IMG]