Smoker Gurus

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by GoldenOne7710, Nov 18, 2016.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Well, I've learned 2 things so far about smoking pork...and yes, I'm still very green about smoking. As with most things, I read and read and read until I understand the concept of what I'm trying to achieve. It drives my wife nuts.

In some of my studying, I learned that once a boston butt reaches 160*F, the pores start to close and it won't absorb much more smoke beyond that. So continuing to add chips and keep it smoking is a waste of chips and time. Depending on how long it takes to get the internal temp to the 160 mark (which varies as you know), is how long you should bother keeping it smoking. Remember that it's all about temperature and not much at all about time.

2nd is that I presoak the chips in water which make them last longer. Also keep in mind that just because it's not puffing smoke out the vent, doesn't mean the box isn't full of smoke. I learned that fairly quickly. I was adding chips when I didn't need to. Opening the door proved that when smoke came bellowing out...even though there was next to none coming from the open vent.

160* is also the same temperature I take it out and wrap it. After that, the smoker is really nothing more than an oven. So far, my methods have yielded some excellent smokey flavor without over cooking and drying out the meat.

I read where a lot of people who smoke on a pellet smoker or grill will actually remove the butt from the smoker around 160*, wrap it and finish it off in their kitchen oven.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    My latest Victim. A Red Snapper stuffed with Whole peeled tomato and onion with seasons like salt black pepper olive oil garlic powder and some soy sauce. I used a rib rack to keep the stuffing from falling out. I put a sheet of foil and one of parchment paper to keep it together and makes clean up easy. I smoked it about 3.5 Hrs and then put it in the gas grill at around 450 for ten mins with a water pan under it just to get the outside a little crisp. I don't use wood chips. They don't last. I just chop small oak logs to about 4" and soak them. Toward the end if the fire is getting too cool I use dry wood to get it up to temp faster. Never tried an electric smoker. usually I put my hand on the top and feel if the temp is good. The start I like very hot can't keep your hand on more than a second. after a while I like it to be hand on for around 3 to 4 seconds before ouch.

Attached Files:

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Just finished off 6 pheasants in the smoker.

Been a long time since I'd even ate a pheasant...and certainly the 1st time I ever cooked one (or 6).

That said, we prepped all 6 differently with seasonings, brines, etc...even tried 1 with nothing but salt/pepper. Smoked with hickory chips in my Masterbuilt digital unit @ 225*F. Pulled them out when the thickest bird in the bunch hit 165*F in the breast.

Gotta say, they turned out absolutely amazing. I sampled each one. I could easily had prepped them all any one of the different ways and would've been satisfied. I believe I leaned toward the roasted garlic seasoning bird the most. Even had one with the good ol Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning...and it was good too....it was all good. Wife's family was here to enjoy them. The aftermath looks like you threw them into a pack of lions.

Probably will have access to some more within the next couple of weekends.