Smoker Gurus

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by GoldenOne7710, Nov 18, 2016.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Your going to like that, trust me. :)

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I have used Brinkman for years, but they are out of business. I went with the 34.00 Master built this time and it works but not as good. Mine were always charcoal. I got good results but the fire was too cool. I ended up using the old Brinkman water pan with rust holes and an old 10 inch circular saw blade in the bottom for the charcoal and piled up some bricks on the ground and laid the pan on the bricks. The water pan is a smaller diameter so I can lift the whole smoker off and build up the fire if it gets too low and keep going. I usually use oak since it is every where down here. Just have to cruise around the block to find some all cut up. The Master built has weak little metal tabs holding the grills up. I dropped a Salmon filet in the coals once. It was done to perfection too. I was lucky that only part went in and was able to get 90% back. I just picked up the other part and rinsed it and ate it on the spot. Mmmmm, Indian pepper. was not that bad. I'm going to put some 1/4 inch bolts in to fix that. For my Turkeys and chicken I like to invert them so the breast is down. You will never have a dry bird that way. You can always put it on the gas grill at the end to brown if it is what you want. During our last hurricane I used the smoker quite a bit for days in a row. We actually did not get that much rain but I had a plan for that. I didn't get a pic of my pork shoulder but at the end I like to put polish sausage on to get the low heat and not pop the skin.

Attached Files:

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Just started smoking myself... The jolly fat man brought me one too!

So far I've done some chicken breasts, ribs, and a pork butt. (Pulled) figured I'd start off with some easy stuff. (NAILED the ribs by the way... They were friggin awesome). Going to start a brisket in the morning, what have you used for a rub on your briskets?

4. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    On brisket I've used McCormicks cowboy rub and their pork rub. I've also used Adams brisket rub.

Tried a few others that I don't recall their names.

I haven't tried a rub we didnt like!!

Rub it down with mustard 1st then add the rub.

Good luck!!

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Make your own. salt, brown sugar,or white, black pepper, cayenne, paprika Garlic powder onion powder, cinnamon, oregano.... what ever you think you might like. I just mix as I go and taste to make sure not too salty. The smoke is really is strong so the season is heavy. so I do it ahead sometimes over night. If I do it fresh it really doesn't matter. At the end I sometimes throw it on the gas grill on high rack low temp and finish with my own BBQ sauce or out of the bottle. One of my kids does not like sauce so I keep some plain to make everyone happy. It is fun. Plus I drink lots of beer while I'm waiting.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I'd love to whip up my own custom rub...however, by the time I bought all the ingredients, I'd have $15+ in a concoction that I wouldn't use as often to make it worth the money or time. Around here, there's a rub available in most grocery stores. It's called..."Butt Rub". As simple as that...and it's GOOOOOD. Adds a little heat to the flavor. I use it when I'm grilling pork butt steaks or pork chops. It's about $3.50 for a 4.5oz bottle, which goes a long way. I used less than half a bottle on two 8lbs butts I just put in the smoker and wasn't exactly stingy with it...coated both pretty good.

Figured I'd keep this simple. Rubbed them both down with yellow mustard before hand so the rub would stay put. This was earlier today. Got the smoker preheated to 275...because I knew I'd lose a bit of heat when I opened it up. Put the meat on 1 rack, side by side which left about 2" between to the two hunks of meat. Should be plenty enough for heat to flow between/around them. I filled the water pan with 1/2 water and 1/2 Mr Pibb. I'll keep the hickory smoke plentiful for about 5 hours, or at least until the internal temp hits 160*. I'll then take them out and wrap them in foil and finish them off until the probe reads 190-195*F....which should be in about 12 hours from right now. Should be able to take them out to rest for an hour or so until we pull them apart....be ready to eat about 1:30 tomorrow for my nephew's 21st B'day.
    [​IMG]

perkalator likes this.
  7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I haven't tried smearing mustard on yet. I'll have to try it. My Neighbor puts Mayo on chicken before grilling. It was good so I guess you find new stuff to try all the time. I used to get Konriko cajun seasoning and the Paul Predome Brand too. I will look for the butt rub next time I shop. I ended up making my own in a pinch and it was really good so I make it quite a bit. I always over make to save for the next round but usually make it on the spot to adjust for what ever I decide to cook. I get the big jars of ingredients at Sam's when I go. The price I guess is higher when you add it up, but we use a bunch for other cooking too. Good eating at the party looks like fun...

8. GoldenOne7710

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Well, these got done WAY sooner than I expected. Put one more scoop of wood chips in before I went to bed....which was about 1:AM. I got up about 6:AM to check on it. Internal temp had already bypassed the 160* mark up go 170*. Took them both out and wrapped each one in foil and stuck them back in. Wife let me sleep until 8:45. Got up and looked at the probe temp and it was already at 212. Took them out and stuck them in the oven still wrapped to rest in there. I'll get them out in a little bit and begin the shredding. These things smell like heaven. Hope these folks bring their appetite.
    The mustard thing is basically nothing more than edible glue to hold whatever rub you douse it with on the meat. It doesn't modify the taste at all...however, the vinegar in the mustard can act as a tenderizer and help break down fat to help with tenderness. Best used if you're going to prep and apply rub at least 12 hours before you cook.

9. GoldenOne7710

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Boy oh boy. Niece's fiance has 8 big pheasants in his freezer from a local pheasant shoot he helps out with. We don't have native pheasant here in GA, so it's a huge treat any time we can get our hands on some.

Gonna have them in the heat next weekend. Hoping they'll be as good as I think they will be.

10. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    How did you get your smoker to produce smoke so long? I have a masterbuilt electric smoker and I have to add chips about every hour.

There is no way I could leave mine alone for 5 hours.