Smoker Gurus

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by GoldenOne7710, Nov 18, 2016.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Just got the word that I'll be getting an electric smoker from the jolly fat man this year. Academy Sports is running a pretty awesome deal on Masterbuilt 40" smokers this time ($199). As soon as I get it...unboxed, assembled and up and running, I'll be looking for some pointers, tips and flavor ideas.

Not sure I'll get the green light to actually get it and use for Thanksgiving or not. All depends on what Mrs Claus says.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Those things are great, set and forget. I'm doing turkey breast on mine for Thanksgiving.

3. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    They work great! Mine is propane, but still about the same. I did 8 whole chickens for a party we had this spring. My soccer team girls eat every sliver off them. Injected them with a variety of things. Juicy !

I've done a couple wild turkey breasts, duck breasts, ribs and all turn out good. The ducks I wrapped in bacon, boys ate 6 breasts each... think i had to have frozen pizza that night... lol

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    wrap half your wood in aluminum foil & poke some holes - leave the other half as is

this way you'll get immediate smoke from the naked wood, but the foil wood will last twice as long = twice as much smoke

5. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    I always soak my wood in water before so it lasts longer - my favorite wood to use is apple wood.

Here is my video of my smoked ham "JackHammer" I make two or three of theses Family favorites over the holidays and they didn't like ham before this. Enjoy!

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Electric or propane is really the way to go. I had a charcoal one, that i thought would be fun to use, but turned out no matter what i did we had to mess with it all day long. and of course, while screwing with that thing, there was always beer drinking involved. Lots of drinking......

7. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I hear those things work as good as real smokers, but have yet to do the taste test. I think some have a pocket for wood chips and I've considered buying one. Let me know how it goes!! Some people say it's "cheating" but, the taste on the plate is what matters!!

8. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I have a 30" masterbuilt electric smoker. Works great..

Preheat, add wood chips, meat and let it sit till its done.

I go back and check it about every hour and add wood chips if it's stopped smoking.

9. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    This year for Tday 7 + hours of apple wood smoking in a 16"x34" Smokie Mountain Propane smoker.
    I did a JackHamer, large turkey breast, a large chicken and a dozen large stuffed and smoked jalepeno
    peppers. The trick to doing all this at the same time is to start slow smoking the ham then add the poultry and cook till ham is 140 and poultry is 185.

The turkey breast without the legs fit easer than a whole turkey so I could do this all at once this year.

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    So, I finally got to use the smoker for our Christmas dinner. I wanted to use it for Thanksgiving, but we were so busy with moving and had too much going on....plus I worked on Thanksgiving day. We closed on our new house and moved in on Dec 2nd.

But anyway, I seasoned the smoker with hickory smoking chips. I also used hickory to do the 1st smoker dinner...and I rocked it.

I cooked 2 hams that were 7.05 and 7.57 lbs and also a 19 lbs turkey. I slow smoked the turkey for 11.5 hours. I put the precooked hams in around the 8 hour mark and smoked them until they reached 140*F and took them out. They soaked up the smoke nicely.

I was afraid the turkey would dry out on the outer edges before I hit the 165* internal temp target. But no...it was as juicy and moist as you could ask for. Also deep fried a 15lbs turkey...just in case the smoked bird didn't work out. The deep fried is always a winner with the family. Couldn't go wrong with it.

It ALL worked out nicely though. Nothing but compliments on all the meat. Now that I know and understand the basics of how this smoker operates, I can start to experiment with different injectables, brines, marinades, wood flavors, etc.

Next on the list is a beef brisket. Been craving one since before I even bought the smoker.