smoke coming out of tailpipes.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by TDPalmer, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    I've noticed my Camaro's tailpipes has been smoking all the time lately, at idle it's not too bad but when you press on the gas while in park it'll get really smokey. They smoke when going down the road too, it looks like it's just white smoke but I don't remember it ever doing it all the time. I have replaced the valve seals about 600 miles ago, they were sealed power positive style seals and the car isn't burning any oil.

Should I be concerned about this or is it just from the colder weather and humidity? The car has true duals and no cat.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. gpintauro

gpintauro Veteran Member

Jun 4, 2012
    inman,sc
    you loosing any coolant? car running hot? could be a bad head gasket or leaky intake gasket.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Is it smoke or is it steam? Determine what it is and what color it is. Then you can decide if you have a problem.

4. TDPalmer

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    I'm pretty sure it is smoke, I have not put coolant in it for some time and it's still at a normal level, my oil is also not milky I will take some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake and see if it slows the idle any.

5. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    As a rule of thumb:
    White smoke - coolant
    blue smoke - oil
    black smoke - carbon -incomplete combustion

Are you sure its not just water vapor condensing in the cold air? Does it have an odor?

6. troutman

troutman Veteran Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Chapin,S.C.
    Tranny fluid also burns white.

7. TDPalmer

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    It doesn't really have an odor, it just looks foggy when I'm letting it warm up or leave it running after I drive it. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake this morning and it didn't slow down my idle any. I always thought if it was water vapor condensing it would stop and not continue while driving it in 50 degree weather, it might just be from the humidity here. I will check the transmission fluid later also.

8. Gary S

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    What kind of exhaust system do you have on the car? If it is a full dual exhaust with oversize pipes, you are never going to get it warm enough in 50 degree weather to get rid of the steam. A car with small enough pipes will heat up quite fast and stop steaming. Check the temperature of the tailpipe after the engine has run for 1/2 hour or so. If it isn't hot, expect it to keep steaming.
    I can touch my Camaro tailpipes with a bare hand after driving it in any weather. That is good for the engine to flow that freely, but it isn't going to get rid of moisture at that temperature.

9. TDPalmer

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    It's 2.5" from the headers back with 2.25" over the axle. I let it idle for about an hour today and it was still smoking pretty bad, it's still white color and it gets worse as I put the throttle on. The tranny fluid looks good and I didn't notice it dropping rpms when I sprayed it with crab cleaner again. It's probably my luck that it's a blown head gasket.

I don't really think it's steam because it lingers in the air.

I'm uploading a video of the car running from the tailpipes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  10. Gary S

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Does the exhaust have a crossover or any connection between the left and right sides? Does it smoke out of both sides?