Slide-a-link Issues... Possibly...

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 81airforce, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 81airforce

81airforce New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Arkansas
    Took my 81 to the track with the new turbo LS for the first time for some testing last week. We weren't leaving under any power or boost just rolling out of the hole to make sure all the fuel tables look good all the way through the trap. All the passes went without issue and we got the tune all lined out for this coming weekend. The only thing I noticed was as soon as I crossed the stripe and let off I would get an awful cyclical vibration in the car, and even on the brakes. I know bad pinion angle can cause a vibe like this. So my thought is under power the pinion is wrapping up to good position and then on deceleration the axle unloads and the slide-a-links(the slide-a-links are a two piece bar design with a poly bushing in between) seperate and the pinion is dropping to far nose down? What would you guys do? I have some 1.25 DOM/.120 wall in the garage so I could build a solid bar. Thoughts?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Is vibration in the rear? Sounds more like something is loose rather than a pinion angle issue. I know warped or heat soaked rotors will do that but I think you would know if it was a brake issue.

3. 81airforce

81airforce New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Arkansas
    This was happening when lifting at around 130 and slowly dissipated until around 75. Its def coming from the rear but not the brakes, we looked over everything inside of the drum. Checked all the bolts. Just running down the highway at around 75 you can faintly hear it as well.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds more like a drive train, maybe driveshaft issue. Just for S & G's, take the driveshaft loose at the rear and rotate 180*, see if that makes any difference.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Are you preloading the slide a links? Could have them too tight?

6. 81airforce

81airforce New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Arkansas
    No preload, I just turn them up to contact the poly bushing and make sure their even.