Side pipes!!!

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by samuel, Nov 11, 2016.

1. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    How much horsepower does that bird make actually? I have a fake set like that but the tubes are shot

2. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
  3. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I really like your thread I think I went through it a few years back. My biggest issue is that the patriot sidepipes are only made with 3.5 in side tubes and are 63 inches long and the problem is them not fitting that great

4. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    None at the moment. It's apart doing a bare metal rotisserie restoration with lots of upgrades.

However, I did put it on a chassis dyno once with those pipes on it. At the time it had a mild Pontiac 400 with a 575 Speed Demon carb and stock exhaust manifolds and made 265 RWHP. Not sure whether the carb or exhaust was the limiting factor. Online calculators at Wallace racing using weight & 1/4 mile drag results with the same combination also came out to 265.

5. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Yea that's my biggest concern with running the fake pipes seeing as my engine dynoed at 580 so I think ide def need all 4 pipes

6. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    I doubt you could flow enough through the one pipe to go much over 300-325 RWHP if that on the chrome fake ones I have, they're pretty small diameter.

Even if you find the original Hookers the mufflers that come with them may not flow enough. Pic below. Probably have to get spirals, make your own, or run without at that power level.

[​IMG]

7. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Lmao yea I had the fake tubes on when I was in highschool and I never Ram any baffles in them x)although there was just a single tube

8. 73RSLT+95Z28

73RSLT+95Z28 Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Finland
    Here´s how I´ve done mine.
    BBC + long tube headers.
    Hacked up sbc long tubes with h-pipe.
    Sweet thunder mufflers.
    Sounds awesome, not too loud, just fine.

Attached Files:

9. Donna Hines

Donna Hines New Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Hi guys,im new to this so please bear with me. I've got a 78 Z that I've had for 25 years. It's got a 383 stroker in it. My dad was working on it with me and he died. Now I'm not sure what I'm doing. I've got a GORGEOUS set of chrome side pipes and he was gonna put them on without headers. He was going to use flex pipe with a 3 inch collector. Is it better to put headers on it instead? I'm so lost without him. I only know a little about alot of things but he knew everything. I would appreciate any help.

10. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Probably won't make a difference either way in terms of performance. 6 of 1, half dozen of another....