Should I buy this rusty 1977 camaro?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by JayP, Apr 18, 2017.

1. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I would rather take out a loan and spend $5-6k for a nicer one ready to drive.

2. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    If you buy it for the motor...I'd be interested in the bumpers :)

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    What a POS. Go look for a better one.

4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Save your money at least to the $5K mark if you want driveable project. Nothing special about that car and it's got money pit written all over it.

5. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Well Probably wont get it. guy messaged me and says least he can do is 1200. Does seem like a shame to me though, for a car with this much body work done and perfect outer body panels, and entirely new driveline etc. to it to be so worthless.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I wouldn`t buy someones other headache, Just have some patience and save your money .And buy a more complete car.You`ll be a lot happier for it.

Attached Files:

7. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    So at this point no, I probably wont get this. The fact that I even considered the car probably makes it obvious I don't know anything haha. But what all makes it a money pit?

I assumed 1200 car, 100$ rebuilding carb, belts, hoses. And the fuel tank already looked new.
    100-400$ tires, 200-300 sheet metal, 100 battery,
    all the interior and exterior trim, panels, etc are actually complete, everything was disassembled for body work etc.
    plus eventually windshield, interior, and paint.
    And I know floor work would take a lot of time obviously, but is that more in depth than cutting out and welding in? that was honestly one of my biggest questions.

At that point I figured I'd have a cheap running driving beater Camaro, for around 2500, with a completely new drivetrain and immaculate outer body.
    And again probably the fact I'm even considering all this possible is ridiculous but I honestly don't know haha.

8. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    You need to look in the hidden areas with this much visible rust. Use your phone and snap pictures of the space between the trunk drop off and the quarter inside the trunk. Pull the vent in the door jam and look at the lower front quarter. My quarter panels looked solid from the outside but after sanding. I noticed some small black spots in the metal. Pulled out my phone and snapped some pictures in the drop off space and it was solid orange. I cut out a inspection hole and it was starting to rust through from the inside. Ive got pics in my build thread if you want to see an example. But i was expecting to have to do patches on the car anyway since it had been repainted several times. If you see rust on the outside there is always more hidden. Remember camaros rust from the inside out.

9. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    The vent in the door jam? I actually did take that off, jabbed at everything with a screwdriver lol, at least inside the vent area everything was solid. And thanks I'll try what you mentioned if I look at another one.

10. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Below corners of the windshield, inside and out, reach up inside rear drop of the front fenders, inner wheel wells under fender portion pinholes, pull carpet up for front floorplans. Rocker panels. Bottom corners of doors, stuff I found so far on mine.