Should I buy this rusty 1977 camaro?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by JayP, Apr 18, 2017.

1. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    So I'm seriously looking at this 77 Camaro, drove 3 hours to see it.

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/6085662375.html

Guy selling it was a mechanic and he redid basically all the drivetrain in school. I probably would have bought it on the spot, but the trunk and floors were pretty rusty. But the rest of the body seemed really good, stuck a magnet around the body and never had it not stick good. He said it was a california, then Texas car. Popped the valve covers off and some of the rocker arms were loose from the nut not as tight as the others, don't know what that means.

So what I really need to know. Is trunk and floor rust that bad? Would it be unsafe to drive as is. I was thinking I would just get a cheapish welder and some sheet metal and patch it up.

Also he was asking 2500, I know he'll take 1900, and after seeing it I was thinking less, is that general price a good deal for the car/condition?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    The money you will spend to get this back on the road will out way the sale able value of the car. Personally i would not pay a whole lot for the car and for 1900 hundred buck is not worth it. unless you are looking for a beater car it looks like a lot of work to get this thing back into shape.

3. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Not worth it. Unless you want a lot of work. With the amount of visible rust on the outside the hidden rust will be worse. How do the rear frame rails under the car look.

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    that car is a piece of sh*t and the motor is probably roached from sitting so long

for $500 it's worth it as a parts car, but like the others said...move on

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Parts car..$400 or 3-5 year project.

6. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Does the owner have any receipts or proof of everything in his Craigslist add that he has done to the engine and transmission? The body does look pretty straight there's still a heck of a lot of money to be put into that car before it could be roadworthy. Like others have mentioned price is pretty high unless he can prove everything he has put into it.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    500 is what I would offer. Show up and pull out 5 Bens fanned out in your hand and see if he goes for it.

8. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    The rear frame rails seemed fine just looking at them, I never saw any rust outside of the floor/trunk, also felt inside the vent in the front door and it was all solid inside there. But I guess your saying that there's probably a lot of hidden rust I can't find? So just replacing the floors and trunk wouldn't fix it?

And also yeah, TBH I was really just looking for a beater car haha. the engine turned over good and the oil was still clean along with the ATF. Honestly was mostly interested for the engine/trans etc. But I guess the rust outweighs the mechanical stuff?

9. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    He said he used to have a box full of receipts, but lost them over the years, checking the heads the pushrods were absolutely brand new for what its worth. and the heads seemed really clean.
    He claimed to have done everything in school I guess.

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I thought the $1900 sounded good, but then I looked at the pics...oh man that thing is rough. I agree with the others see if he'll take a couple hundred or save your money, be patient and wait on a better deal