shorter transmission mounts?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Goat, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Anyone know of someone who makes shorter tranny mounts? Got a T-56 Magnum with a Bowler cross member. An American Powertrain mount #ISGM20002L (lowers by 0.75") was suggested, but no one has them in stock and best I can tell December is the earliest, if at all.

Energy suspension has a "lower" version, but they give no numbers and someone on the Summit site said they were "wider" not shorter...

There are not many cross-member options for DSE/LS 2nd gen conversions...The guy at Bowler was engaging/trying to help. I sent him some pictures - waiting to hear back...

Thanks.

Anyone use the Holley/Hooker cross member?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Keep in mind compression. You really can't set the trans to zero degrees and install the crossmember. Jack the trans up without the trans mount installed. Bolt the crossmember in, then slide the trans mount in. Lower the trans on the mount.

I just check my engine/trans angle and it's 1.5 degrees down

3. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Ain't no mount going to compress 2 inches...

4. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^ something is up, please post pictures. Are you using DSEs engine adapters and mounts too?

5. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Adding two pictures. These pictures are with the tranny @ zero degrees and the passenger side of the cross member about 1/2 inch from lining up with the bolt holes. I quit jacking up the cross member at this point because it was pushing so hard on the floor pans the car was trying to lift.

Anyway, one picture shows the space available for a mount - about 1 inch. The other picture shows the height of the mount - abut 2 1/4 inches.

Not going to compress...

I don't mind relieving the floor pans some at this point because I'm tired of messing with this and need to move on. But I would still have the space issue for the mount. If Bowler doesn't come through with any remedy, I think I am just going to cut off the mounting plate on the cross member and re-weld it lower...

bowler5.JPG bowler6.JPG

6. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Affirmative.

7. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Their T56 crossmember for the DSE frame and the normal one are the same. The only difference is they did a set back because of the setback and width of the DSE frame

8. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes! Ditch that mount. It's has an extra plate that is designed to compress the nipples on the back side. Energy suspension right? I think I have a prothane mount. No extra plate and looks like a normal mount.

I want to see you crossmember mock up pics

9. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    That plate your talking about only adds about 3/16" to the height - helps, but nowhere near enough. I'm @ zero degrees. You say your at -1 1/2. If I bring mine down to that angle it will only get worse. I was hoping to put mine at -2 degrees - was waiting until I get the rear where it needs to be before setting angles. For now I just stuck it at zero.

There is something very different about our two cars. My problem sounds a lot like "alponcho" in the thread you posted. I will have to cut my floor to get this thing to work. The transmission, angles, and what not have nothing to do with the cross member hitting the floor. There is some relationship between the sub frame and the body. I used DSE solid mounts and I think full height. I am going back to check...