Short 3 piece spoiler

Discussion in 'Rader Classics' started by Lrader99, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lrader99

Lrader99 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    As the title says this thread is to discuss and document the making of a short 3 piece spoiler.

I have always liked the height of the 1 piece 70 Z28 spoiler. I prefer the styling of the 3 piece spoiler though. This thread will document my modification of my '71 3 piece spoiler into a low profile spoiler with integrated 3rd brake light.

Here is a side view of the approximate height profile of the modified spoiler:

[​IMG]

STOCK HEIGHT:
    [​IMG]

MODIFIED:
    [​IMG]

STOCK HEIGHT:
    [​IMG]

MODIFIED:
    [​IMG]

Doing this requires cutting the spoiler into 4 pieces 3 of which will be re used. I don't know if you can tell but the front of the spoiler has a less steep incline than it originally had. Once completed I will try and take comparison photographs against a stock spoiler.

My spoiler is missing many of the mounting studs. I need to replace them before continuing much further. Additionally I need to modify the rear spoiler section for the 3rd brake panel before seaming the spoiler sections back together. I need to get the front and rear halves of the spoiler mounted in place before I can graft the front and side panels back on. The last challenge for the center section will be remaking the support ribs in the underside cavity.

By far the most challenging part will be modifying the side spoiler pieces to match the height and the new styling of this modified spoiler.

Thanks for looking at this and stay tuned for updates!.

2. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    pretty cool! keep at it!

3. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Mississippi
    Me thinks Rader been smoking the monkey grass again, lol!!!

I'm tuning in to see how this turns out.

4. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    Great job and I also had the idea of a shortened 3 piece spoiler and how it would look.

5. likitng

likitng Member

Nov 21, 2012
    NW Florida
    Hmm... Where would one get this monkey stuff?

6. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I think the center is going to be the easy part. Making the sides lower and flow right will be the hard part.

Michael

7. Lrader99

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    Agreed Michael, but let me tell you getting the center apart and cut down wasn't all that easy either. Especially to keep the shape correct. That center section is convex curved from left to right on the front and concave curved from left to right on the back side as well as convex curved across the top not to mention the rest of the complex shape it has nor to discuss all off the internal ribbing.

8. Lrader99

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    I don't know about monkey grass but I did wear a dust mask while cutting this thing apart...same thing, no?

This has been something I have been planning for a while but I figured it is best to only introduce to y'all one crazy idea at a time and let you see how it pans out before you try and have me committed. I still have several body mods to start so stay tuned. I need to start back on the project progress forum... Have lots of pics to update there.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Mississippi
    Shit, don't worry about it man.....you're a southerner, you're excused from acting on crazy ideas. You should see some of the stuff I've come up with in the lighting dept, and had to be stopped by a couple people from actually TRYING to put it on paper. :p

10. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    You are a frickin genius Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.