Shifter stuck in park

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Thomasg, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Hey guys!
    I've got a 1975 camaro with a v8 swap that is just about done. I've been working on it for quite some time now and I'm almost ready to fire the new motor. The problem that has stumped me is my floor shifter is locked in park. The column shift linkage rotates fine if I put my hand on the column and manually operate it. The cable linkage is just dangling under the car right now (just finished rebuilding the th350). I can't think of what is keeping the shifter in place. Is there some sort of shifter lock connecting to the brake in these cars? Or am I need of a new shifter cable? Ive tried with the key in the ignition and my foot on the brake but nothing. In my mind it should move without resistance because none of the linkage is hooked up. Everything related to the floor shifter is stock from 1975. Thanks for your help and I'll get some pictures of the project posted here soon.

2. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2002
    Owen Sound, Ont, Canada
    the shifter should move when you push the button down on the top of the handle. if it isn't hooked up to the trans or the linkage that runs to your column it should move freely. there is no lock hooked up to the brake and you don't need the key on. maybe take the cable off the shifter and see what happens. could be a stuck cable like you mentioned.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I had that problem years ago in a 2nd gen. If everything in the car isn't grounded quite right, it takes the path of least resistance. In my case, the shifter cable became the ground. Fixed the grounds and replaced the cable and it was fine.

4. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

Is the cable connected to transmission lever?

5. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    The cable is not currently connected to the transmission lever. Is there a way to loosen up the transmission cable once i've got it off.

6. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Xten I think i lost you a little on the grounds issue. Are you saying that a lack of a engine to chasis ground could cause the cable to become the ground and have issues?

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Yup.
    The engine is isolated from the body with rubber mounts. The cable can become the main ground through the transmission case.
    It will heat the cable and melt the sheath then the cable sticks to it when it cools down.
    Contact with an exhaust system can have the same result.

Remove the cable and see why it won't move.

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had headers melt the cable before, including once on the starting line :(

KISS, remove cable, test shifter & cable separately, easy peasy.

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    My first thought. I bought one that had that problem.

10. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Bad cable probably related to the ground issue

Attached Files: