SFC now or after new suspension?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 54baker, Nov 5, 2017.

1. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    Ok, I finally got my aluminum body mounts installed. I have the car up on four ramps to ensure the car is sitting as it should when welding in sub frame connectors. My question.... Can I go ahead and weld in the SFC's now even though I'm going to put in all new rear split monos and rear end with new shocks and Caltracs? I currently either have a sagging spring pack or bad shock as it is....it sags a bit on the drivers side. My plan is to tac the SFC's in place and then bring it to my friends who has a frame car lift to finish weld and begin replacing all the suspension etc..... I was told to weld the SFC in while on all 4 tires.... thx

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not a chassis guy, but we welded mine in with the suspension off.

3. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    Well...I'm in a situation where I would really like to weld it in now. I just don't want to jeopardize the stability or stature of the car....

4. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I've seen it done and done it both with the car loaded on a 4 post lift, and while the car was completely disassembled. Both ways can work, there's almost as many opinions on this as mixing radials and bias ply tires... For what its worth I welded a set in my daily driver while the rear was out, and the car launched straight with no issues. I put a set in a friends car with the car on 4 wheels, same thing. As long as the car isn't twisted to start with you'll be fine.

54baker and Turbo70Camaro like this.
  5. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    Yeah. I've given up on the bias and radial mix post already....lol. I'm just going to go ahead and weld them in place now

6. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I am no expert on subframe connectors but I would think if you measure body mounts corner to corner you should be fine either way if it is square.

54baker likes this.
  7. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    That would make sense.