Setting up shop to prime

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by dsbratton, Jun 26, 2015.

1. dsbratton

dsbratton Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Rochester, MN
    Wasn't sure if this should be in Body Restoration or Garage. I have already primed some of the smaller parts (fenders, etc...) in the garage, but hope to be spraying primer on the shell within the next week or so. Garage is about 50'x14' - long and narrow and no windows in back half. I know I need ventilation, so I picked up a ventilator from Harbor Freight on eBay and a couple of ducts to put on each end thinking I could vent the fumes out the window in the front half with it. I am also thinking I will place a plastic sheet to cut the back half off from the front half and hand sheets on the side walls to cover things up. I will also support the hose exiting the garage and place a filter on both ends of the ducts. Looking for feedback on what else I might want to do ahead of time:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    looks good to me. just be shure and cover everything you dont want paint/primer on because it will get everywhere

3. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    Prime it outside, your going to sand it anyway. Primer really leaves overspray information everything. Outside is best...

4. Urban Samurai

Urban Samurai Veteran Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicago
    Take some 2x4 and build a temp booth with plastic stapled to it. Put in a vent and exhaust side. I have seen it done before & it was effective.

5. Mike Bozung

Mike Bozung Veteran Member

Jul 7, 2011
    muncy,pa
    I agree with steven, prime it outside. I really don't think you'll have enough ventilation The way you have it set up. You might also want to think about where your going to paint it, that is if your doing it, because the clear will just "hang" in that small room will too little air movement. What are you going to wear to breath ?

6. dsbratton

Oct 6, 2010
    Rochester, MN
    I have a 3M filtered mask I have been using. My only hang up about doing it outside is my hose set up is currently piped to the back half of the garage. I also have more control of temp & humidity in the garage, so that is partly why I was leaning towards doing it in the garage. I will most likely have someone else paint it once it is ready for paint.

7. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    Understandably , if so then just seall everything with cheap thin plastic.f. However...primer does not care about temperature and humidity. Unless it's 100℅, but then again I don't believe your going to squirt it in the rain!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I agree. I primed my shell with epoxy inside my garage, but after that it was all done in the driveway with a big blue tarp on the ground to protect the concrete. It worked out just fine.

9. dsbratton

Oct 6, 2010
    Rochester, MN
    True - raining today with more in the forecast. I suppose I could always open the garage door and turn on more box fans if needed.

10. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    You can prime it inside the garage during the rain. I meant you can't spray it outside when its rainy!!! :)