Serpentine setup and what cars to get them from!

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by cbeasley, Jan 16, 2019.

1. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

I have a 100 amp internal regulator altenator now just gotta find a wiring diagram i can understand lol

2. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

20190215_145204.jpg 20190215_145152.jpg 20190215_145139.jpg

3. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

So i would assume the red wire from my factory alternator pigtail goes to where it says battery? I do have the pigtail that goes to the black plug on the side i cant remember if it had one wire or two and but anyways where does the black wire go from my factory alt. pigtail? 1980 camaro z28

4. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

Screenshot_20190215-153905_Chrome.jpg

5. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

I found that so tells me what each pin is for but someone just tell me red wire from old alt to bolt on back of alt and the second wire hooks to what pin?

6. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

Im not even sure if i have a battery light i have a amp gauge but dont remember i do have the full set of gauges with tach and everything no idiot light set up. If a more experienced member chime in would be greatly appreciated

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What year are you putting that setup in, your 80? That alt, looks pretty crispy, I would take it to the parts store that checks them for free and get it tested, is your alt on your car a one wire or 3 wire, or does the plugs look the same? I don't know much about the 80 , do you have an external regulator?

8. cbeasley

cbeasley Veteran Member

Yea i looks pretty bad im going to get it tested first but will least work for mock up and as of now i think my alt has the plug on the side eith two wires but ill check for sure i dont remember last time i changed it if it has three but definitely two in the plug on it. So if there is only one wire or three then it must be three and i never even knew about a external regulator untill started trying to do this swap

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think the quick way to figure it out, is pretend you are going to buy a new alt, for your car, and look at the setup, then check for the replacement alt, for the serp system and look at it's setup up, and see if you can spot the differences , thats the way I usually go about it, I need to see it, helps me understand, HAA HA

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You have the two wire connector on the factory harness right? IIRC, red wire to the S terminal and brown wire to the L terminal and you're good. Of course you still need the large red cable attached to the post too. That thread you pulled the picture from has some good info but if you're running the factory gauge set you don't have to worry about most of it.