Serious grime

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Damon23, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    The spindles I just bought are nasty. You can imagine years of road grime and grease caked on. I need to clean and paint them before going on the car. What have you all used to break this stuff down? I dont have a parts washer or steam cleaner. I was thinking of oven cleaner seeing that they are not aluminum.

2. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I've used engine degreaser. Spray it on, let it soak, agitate it with a brush, rinse.

Repeat till clean.

3. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    Purple Industrial Degreaser from Home Depot. Buy a gallon, put in a container with your parts overnight and spray off in the morning.

Phil

4. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Saugerties, NY
    I would scrape off as much as possible with a putty knife 1st, then spray with some purple power or engine degreaser let it soak for a while then wire brush or scrub with a stiff brush then hose em off, a pressure washer is great. I like taking stuff to the car wash and using their hi power sprayer to get the crud off

5. ThumperZ28

ThumperZ28 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Oceanside,California
    Not to hijack his thread, but that's some good advice ill try this too since I have a greasy starter, and alternator.

6. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    I scraped off what I could then used oven cleaner (spray bottle, no fumes) and let it sit for two hours. It broke it down real good. After I washed that stuff off all I needed was some brake parts cleaner to remove the film and I hit them with some graphite wheel paint I had laying around. They turned out good. Almost hate to have them put on.