Second gen glass

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jthomas, Oct 7, 2017.

1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Not concerned with stock since mine is a full resto mod, but your glass is nice! You can't beat the original glass for fit and color. PPG used to make nice OEM style green tint glass for second gens. I called them and they don't make or have it anymore.

twozs likes this.
  2. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Fond Du Lac
    Got the Euro glass tint from Auto city Classic I like it

jthomas likes this.
  3. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Hey everyone, here is what Kirt Dodd at OER said:

Sir, out of almost 100 sold, only return was for it being not cut correctly. Kirk

Also,
    It is made overseas.......it is just the regular 10% green factory tint...not smoke or dark.

Not sure if to give it a try or not; Any thoughts?

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Might not matter much but FWIW it is possible that overseas could now mean Dayton Ohio as the worlds largest auto glass plant is there now (Fuyap). Been meaning to try and find out if they have a department that makes the small lot restoration market glass.

5. hgoodwiniii

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Yes, I hear you but for some reason, I truly believe he meant offshore another country overseas. I had to ask twice about where the glass was made and he never said a specific county but would only say "overseas"

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    After getting offshore crap that was over 1/4" too wide, I got some from Pilkington. Not perfect, but much better.

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Probably. The Fuyao plant was built to supply stateside OEMs so the small lot stuff probably isn't there. I need to find a local "car guy" that works there to ask.
    Pilkington I think is based in Columbus Ohio? If so, I need to do a road trip to investigate. It's only an hour away.
    By reading the other posts, it sounds like the blotchy doesn't apply to the windshield? I need a winshield and back glass at least. My side glass isn't bad. I was going to replace them but if the quality sucks than I may just keep them.

8. hgoodwiniii

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    The Pilkington windshield delivered for my 81 looks really nice; I spoke to the guy before I ordered it and he confirmed it was made in Mexico; I asked about rear glass for my car and they do make a glass for it but they do not make one with the rear defogger grids. I did not ask if the rear glass they do make is tinted or not. I can look up the guys name when I get home later if you want it.

I will probably end up keeping my back glass even though the rear defogger tab came off and just live with it. I would be willing to pay a premium if some glass company here decides to make the original glass to original specs and original quality.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    There is a special epoxy used to reattach the tab on a defroster grid.
    (I used the stuff on my Jimmy defroster tab. Found it on Ebay or Amazon.)

10. hgoodwiniii

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA