Second gen glass

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jthomas, Oct 7, 2017.

1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Have any of you bought the green tinted glass from National Parts Depot? any blotchiness in the rear or side glass? How does it fit? Any issues? They tell me they get their glass from JR Distributors so it appears to be off shore glass.

Any other places to get 70 Camaro glass that you guys recommend. I prefer to buy USA or Canadian made if I can find it.

I called Pilkington and they said their tinted glass has that blotchiness to the tinting so I ruled them out. He said it is hard to find tinted glass without that due to the higher heat and faster cooling methods used today. This is especially bad in off shore glass.

Here the backstory:

Back in 2010 I installed all new tinted glass from Classic Industries. The side and rear glass tinting had a lot of blotchiness and patterning in the tint from the heating cooling process which is common in today's glass.

Fast forward to now. On the way to a show a guy tossed stones from his tires and cracked the front AND rear glass. Yes, the rear too. Just my luck. Good news is he didn't hit my paint. My insurance company cut a check to replace the glass. I'm going to replace ALL the glass to get rid of the crappy tinting.

National Parts Depot checked their stock and pulled the glass. They tell me they do not see any blotchiness in theirs and they have had no returns or complaints about fitment.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    Im on my 2nd NPD purchased rear glass and both have that tint blotchiness but I can only see it in certain lighting or with polarized glasses. My first back window mysteriously shattered while sitting in a locked garage under the car cover.

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    I'd give Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix a call. They 'may' have the OE glass you're looking for. I've bought lots of sheet metal from them, but no glass. Always been satisfied.
    But, IMO, it's worth a phone call.

4. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Thanks MotionClone. I was afraid that would be the case. Guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks DrPepper. I'm not interested in used OE. This is for a show car so looking for new.

Anyone else buy new tinted glass for 70-74 Camaro that does not have that blotchiness or pattern in the tinting? If so where did you get it?

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Ok, a show car. I've been there. If you can find 'used' tinted glass that isn't blotchy, it can be polished to look like 'new'. Just another option, in my opinion.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Give these guys a call not sure if there stuff is any better than anyone else's but can't hurt to talk to them. DB Z28 has purchased from them so he may be able to queue in as well.

http://www.autocityclassic.com/

7. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Very interesting; I just put a Pilkington windsheild in my 81 and I don't see any blotchiness in it so far; Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly to see it or don't know what I'm looking for but it looks clean.

twozs likes this.
  8. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Why not get clear glass and get it tinted aftermarket?

9. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Fond Du Lac
    I was Worried also about getting tinted glass being blotchy Looking. Looking at some brand new cars at a different angles you can see a slight blotchy ness or hazing also. I Got My Glass from Auto city classic and I did not see any blotchy looking spots but I did have the car outside yet in the sun.

10. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    I will give them a call. The glass looks good on their website, but of course you can't tell if it gets blotchy in certain lighting.

The windshields don't have it because they are laminated. It is the tempered glass that is the issue (side and rear glass). Pilkington told me their side and rear glass have the blotchiness. At least they were honest!

Doesn't that mean applying a tinted film? I have seen guys do that and with the way the side windows are designed the felt covered positioning pieces touch they rub the tint off. I'm not familiar with glass tinting...is there a way to do it so it is not a film they apply?

Looks like another vote for Auto City Glass. Let me know once you have it out in the sun. Also how does it look with polarized glasses on...that will exaggerate it enough to know if it might be an issue in certain light without the glasses. Mine got progressively worse after a few years of sun exposure, but it was noticeable from day one.