Second Gen, beginning to end...

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Wynder, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wynder

Wynder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the replies, Chris, Niveus, Damon, 79zBlue and Guy.

Niveus, the '81 is not quiiiite rust free. It has T Tops, so it was wet... Still... In the desert... :screwup: I don't know how it is possible, but the car still had moisture under the carpet while sitting in a salvage yard in Kingman AZ. A state where you shrivel up in less than an hour if you didn't bring something to drink... :crazy:

Anyway, she has some holes, and I expect it will get worse when I blast the interior floor, but nothing like some of the iron I've seen on this site. I know a lot of guys have performed miracles on their rides, but rust replacement is not my forte. I can build you some power in a small block engine, but floor patching will be new to me.

Guy, there is peace in my household right now, seeing as Carrie and I consider the '81Z hers and the '71 mine, but I'm not sure a third 'maro will help the morale around here, BBFL or not. ;). Maybe it's the newlywed thing for right now... It's funny, I remember posting here while I was on-duty at the firehouse one night while we were talking about your roller cam conversion. I remember going out on a fire call in the middle of it all. I'm not sure you even noticed!

I'm not sure how much work I'll be able to get done right away; I'm trying to get my power wash business off the ground, I have to start all over again, but I really enjoy working on the cars. I'll do what I can when I can...

Thanx again guys! :bowtie:

2. Niveus81

Niveus81 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Still a great start :)

3. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Time for an update, looks like to me. So are you still in Tucson? or are you really in Nashville now?

4. Wynder

No, we're in Nashville, cars are in Tucson still.

This is no good.

5. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh man, agreed. That is no good :(

6. 77camarottop

77camarottop Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    probably holes for body side moldings. awesome thread.

7. 2nd gen man

2nd gen man Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2010
    michigan
    very nice finds,,,,
    Good Luck on your Build

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Nice find on the '71. My uncle has a Salvage yard in Kingman Az. He brings back cars and parts here to Ohio pretty often. My self and a few others take orders for him he brings them here. He is bringing a 1965 Chevy truck back for my neighbor this fall.

9. Wynder

Hmm. I bought the '81Z from a yard in Kingman, I wonder if it is the same yard. Wouldn't that be a coincidence. Nice of him to shuttle parts for you. There's nothing like Arizona Steel. :bowtie:

10. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Dans auto salvage on route 66. He has a storage yard here. He brings back a lot of truck beds. He grew up here so he makes two or three trips a year. Some times has a full load going home too. Plastic body parts and interior parts are burnt up out there.