Second Gen, beginning to end...

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Wynder, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wynder

Wynder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. Wynder

So what's with TH-350's and leaks?

Leaks? Both of mine are fairly bleeding out of every seal, the '71 worse than the '81, but dayum! I've been under the '81 replacing the kickdown cable, rear main shaft seal and shifter seal, but amazingly the front is high and dry, so I think the front seal can wait, at least for a while.

The '71 on the other hand, is wet on every side, every edge, every bolt... Will need to be pulled and new seals pressed onto every shaft. It's not too hard to do, really... :bowtie:

3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    awesome story. Love the air plane junk yard. Always thought it would be cool to restore cars in arizona with no rust! Thanks for your service as a fire fighter.

4. Wynder

Thanks Matt for the kind words. I've been subscribed to your thread for years now, watching you plug away at that sweet '79.

How close are you to Southgate/Newport/Ft. Thomas KY? I have many friends there... :bowtie:

5. Wynder

So this is the engine destined for the '81 Z. Flat tops, aluminum Dart heads, Edelbrock dipped Air Gap manifold and Jet Hot coated Hedman Hedders. I could stare at this engine for hours. I still can't believe I built it myself. :bowtie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure there's around 420 horsepower on that stand. :bowtie:

6. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Super nice!! You have to look high and low around here to find nice rustfree cars like that!

7. Niveus81

Niveus81 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Those were probably panels from a car that had door/side guards. This is mine with the guards before I had them removed when the car was repainted. Mine seem a little higher placed than yours, but I have seen cars with guards sitting even farther below that body line than yours.

[​IMG]

BTW love the 71, but I'm just plain jealous over the rust free 81;) Good luck with both builds, can't wait to see the progress.

8. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    Wow, Tucson. My FIL just bought a house there and has been begging us to move out there. I figure we'll be out there in about 2 years. Good luck on the project, live the life, you've earned it with all those years in a commanding job. Looking forward to the progress pictures.

9. 79zBlue

79zBlue Veteran Member

Apr 7, 2012
    long island ,NY
    cool story congrats on the z's

10. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Awesome story Beau :bowtie:

Now all ya need is a big bumper to complete your collection ;)