Second Gen, beginning to end...

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Wynder, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wynder

Wynder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Second Gen, from one end to the other...

Hello everyone, my friends at NastyZ! I've been on here for years, just lurking, and helping with advice here and there when I can. Now, I feel like it is time to at least introduce myself more completely, and show everyone here at NastyZ what I have and where I will be headed in the next few years.

When I came to this site I was a professional firefighter in Portland, Maine. I spent twenty-five years with the department, eighteen of those on the busiest ladder company in the state of Maine, Ladder Company Six out of Bramhall Square Station. Hot, cold, dirty, gritty, tough frickin' job. And I was born to it. I wouldn't trade those years or any of the experiences for the world. Oh the things I have seen...

[​IMG]

Well, as of December, I retired from the Portland Fire Department, hung up my leather helmet and moved out to Tucson, Arizona to be with my fiancee Carrie and to thaw these somewhat rickety New England bones.

Carrie and I were married on 21 April 2012 on a cruise to the eastern Bahamas, then spent five weeks and 7,500 miles on a honeymoon road trip across America. It was truly grand.

Anyway, enough of the rah rah, onto why we're here... The Second Generation of the famed Chevrolet Camaro!

I had a 1981 Z-28 up in Maine, but she was rotting away, and so I took what I could salvage, rebuilt her engine (see my avatar) and scrapped the remains. I had been traveling as often as possible to be with Carrie in Tucson the last two years of my commitment to the fire service. While here I found a guy that has become a good friend that is a collector and salvage yard owner, and wouldn't you know, he had a 1971 coupe for sale...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Lawd how I love what doesn't happen to steel in the desert! The '71 is rust free; dusty as all hell but solid as a rock. It has a fairly easy dent in the right rear quarter, and a significantly pushed in left rear quarter, but I'll take that over rust every day of the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best part of the car to me are the tight gaps all over. The doors look great, the quarter and fender gaps are tight on both sides:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's nothing more than a coupe, 307/TH-350, but she is ALL mine and I can do whatever I want to with 'er!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Congrats on all items. I wish I could stumble onto a 71 like that.

3. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Nice to meet you, and good luck with what looks like a solid project.

4. Wynder

Well, one wadn't enough for me...

So I'm in the desert, seeing old iron all around me that in Maine would be rotted up to the door handles. So what do I do?

Why, go get me another 2nd Gen Camaro!

I missed Roxanne, what I called my first '81 Z, so I went lookin'. Good old Craigslist! (By the way, maybe this is common knowledge, but just in case, be aware that there are more than a few nationwide Craigslist search engines online...). With virtually no effort I found a 1981 Z up in Kingman, Arizona. So, the wife (fiancee then) and I planned a trip to Vegas, then arranged to see the Z on the way back to Tucson. This was back in January.

OhHellYES she (Z) came home with us! Went to the local U-Drag rental shop, rented a trailer from a cool, funny old guy that bought his wife a Maserati to get around town in, and loaded this diamond in the rough up and dragged her effortlessly home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red door is original, all the silver you see is replacement... :crazy:

cjanes81camaro likes this.
  5. Wynder

Thanx K and K! :bowtie:

6. hendrickson2

hendrickson2 Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Eglin AFB, FL
    Great post Wynder and thanks for all your "hard ass" work and bravery up there in Maine!

I've been to Tucson only once and in fact I was just out there a few months ago. I'm a C-130 Flight Engineer in the USAF. I've been in now for 14 years and have loved every minute of it! I've got about 8 more years left (at least) before I think I'll hang it up. That old '71 looks amazing! I to would've loved to stumble on something like that...damn it looks good! Anywho, that C-130 at that old salvage yard caught my eye there. I wish I could get some more info about that old plane, I love me some C-130 history.

Well bud, good luck with that ole' girl, she's a beaut!! Oh yeah, best of luck in Tucson as well!

Dave

7. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Awesome find! Will be a nice one! Charlton

8. Wynder

HEHE actually, the '81 is a for-real Van Nuys Z-28, originally black with T-Tops, 350/350 that was pulled at some point and replaced by the anemic 305. But, the avatar engine will be put in place in time.

And, be aware, the shine you see is not the silver paint! It was raining when we got back to Tucson (yes Jimmy, it does rain in the desert!). It rained all that night in fact, giving her a good rinse.

Well, I began a thorough inspection right away, and I really think we all but stole this car. There's still paint on the subframe and control arms, the galvanization is like new on the gas tank, and the gaps, while not tight like my '71, are still fairly tight. She does need hinges all around though...

[​IMG]

And what's up with these tiny holes in the quarters, both sides:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holy Door Dings Batman!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ya. Riiiiight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :bowtie:

9. Wynder

Thanks Dave and Charlton for the kind words, it means a LOT to me, you have no idea...

Dave, that C-130 was an "A" model, 1956 fiscal year, but she's gone now. I got probably the last pictures of it one morning. By that afternoon, this front loader with a "chewing" jaw sawed off her wings and hauled her off to the smelters they have everywhere around here.

You should come back to Tucson! I'm fairly surrounded by C-130's of all years and models. I've been a volunteer at the Pima Air and Space Museum when I have time, and pass the AMARG bone yard all the time. Thank you for your service, Sir! :bowtie:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  10. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    Wow glad to see your Camaros, really solid looking cars and perfect foundation to start with incredibly.