Seat Cover Installer ?????

Discussion in 'North West Region' started by CamarosRus, Jul 14, 2017.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Looking for quality craftsman to install my LEGENDARY seat covers on 73 Buckets

Chuck text 253-263-5190

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Hi Chuck,
    based on your level of work that the pictures you post show, I am curious why you would not try it yourself, doesn't look to hard if you view the videos , and the trick that I learned was to use plastic film to act as slip covers to get the new covers to slid into place, I truly believe you could do it if you took your time, and would be happy with the results, just my thoughts

3. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I always have had the interiors professionally installed but thought I would try it this time .I just finished the cloth interior on my 80 Z. It is kind of a pain but only because my hands get tired of snapping hog rings. Putting the covers in the dryer or out in the sun to warm up helps a ton. Stretching and centering it is the key. I am 99% happy with mine. The biggest issue I had was returning the PUI covers due to defects. Camel Tan Cloth takes forever to get. So it was 9 weeks since I started due to product issues. Actual remove and recover and replace time is about 2 days. I used the premium seat cushions by American Cushion Industries and they are excellent. 3 people have already asked me who done the interior...So I guess it isn't obvious that I did it. ☺️

4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Its time consuming but worth it compared to what a upholstery shop would charge. I highly recommend investing in a small steamer, makes the job a lot easier.

5. CamarosRus

I dont have experience, dont have a quailty steamer and want a NO EXCUSES
    quality install........plus I can earn money at MY job to pay a "reasonable"
    amount to have this done in Western WA State................
    but since this is not a restoration hotbed there are few out here that do this
    kind of work !!!!!!!!!!

6. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    OK, so if you are going to pay, most will either quote you by the hour or a flat rate, that will usually change , because of unknown/hidden issues, going rate is $70-90 per hour and most say 3 hours per seat, which is crazy, because someone that doesn't do this for a living can do a seat in 2-3 hours and a pro should do it in half that time, however when its your nickle they move slow, so glad you have money to give to someone else , for a job that you may or may not be happy with , and will not know if they took any shortcuts , good luck
    Thanks

7. CamarosRus

Dave, My current thought is to remove old covers myself, prep and paint rusted metal
    components, assess condition of foam, burlap etc and THEN look for a quote to install,
    steam, and FIT new covers...WE shall see

8. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Careful doing that, as the installers usually want a point of reference as to where everything attached,and you should buy new foam from the same company as the covers, and just replace it ,as even though it might look fine , it has lost it compression factor , you may want to take careful pictures of the disassembly for the cover installer,
    thanks

9. CamarosRus

I have new foam that i bought years ago
    At a swap but dont know the mfg.
    American Cushion Industries is here in Western Wa State which is what
    Legendary distributes...so i have that as option....
    I may have THE INSTALLER ??? dissasemble then ill do the metal restore and THEY can reassemble

10. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    That would be the way I would go, let them take it apart , then do your restore on the metal and then return, and as far as the foam, check with Legendary and see how they feel about using foam other then theirs, however I am sure that if the INSTALLER, is competent , he will add or take away as needed to make the fit correct