Seat belt retractor 79 camaro

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Tracy Bacon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Tracy Bacon

Tracy Bacon Veteran Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Indiana
    New here! Bought a 79 Camaro about 3 weeks ago. Needs some work but in not bad shape. I'm pushing 52 with MS! This is a project kind of car. It will keep me busy! QUESTION! The seat belt retractor on the pass side is broken. It's been pulled all the way out and is stuck fully out. Can these be fixed? Or replaced? Will probably be asking ALOT of questions as I get into the "fixing up" phase more in the spring! Thank you in advance!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Contact Billy Morris at Morris Classics. He can hook you up.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    If you take the cover off... You will probably find something wrong with the retractor spring.
    (Missing, disconnected or not wound properly.)

Yes.. You can put it back together and adjust the spring tension if all the pieces are still there.

There's a small cover/cap (about 2" diameter, on the side of the retractor mechanism) with a LONG strip of spring steel coiled up inside it.

I've taken this apart and reassembled successfully but I'm very hesitant to attempt to explain the process of reassembly.
    I think it's easier to see how it's done than to explain it.
    But... I'll try.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE SPRING!!!

There's a "DO NOT REMOVE" note on the cap for a reason.
    (Wish I had seen that the first time I took one of these apart. :screwup: )

Safety glasses should be worn because the whole thing can come out of the cap like an insane face-eating python if you mess up.

I don't think anyone would believe there's an insane face-eating python inside that little cap so GM put a "Do NOT REMOVE" note on it to deter all but the curiously brave or very stupid.

Anyway... You place one end of the spring inside the cap and curl it around the inside of the inner rim of the cap until it's all inside.

When you're done... There will be a piece of spring running across the middle which fits over the roller the belts wind upon.
    Place the cap thusly over the roller shaft and begin turning the cap to apply tension to the belt.

The belt will retract into the mechanism while you do this.
    When the buckle gets pulled up to the loop on the seat, snap the spring retainer cap into place with the little tabs on the side.

Replace outer cover... DONE!

It's not a bad job but BE CAREFUL.
    The spring isn't under much tension but it's just very long, moves very quickly and it's right in front of your eyes if it gets away from you.

Good Luck.

4. Tracy Bacon

Feb 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I will try to fix! Let ya know how it goes!! Thanks!!

5. Tracy Bacon

Feb 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Anyone know where a replacement can be found? And how difficult would it be to replace?

6. Tracy Bacon

Feb 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Okay, took belt retractor cover off. Does the retractor need to be removed from roof of car? Because there is no 2" cap on the side I can see! There is a shaft sticking about 1/2" out. ??

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Sounds like you're missing the spring and cap.
    (The cap should cover the end of the shaft.)

Post a WTB in the swap meet section (or search ebay).
    I'm sure someone has a junk set of belts they could part out for you.

8. Tracy Bacon

Feb 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Ok, I thought I was looking at it wrong or something! lol Thanks a lot!!!

9. d2cheer

d2cheer New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Belle Plaine, MN
    I wish I would have read this a couple of months ago...but now that the "spring" has sprung everywhere and is useless is there a replacement that can be used to put back in?

Thanks,

10. 80hurstz28

80hurstz28 Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2012
    spokane wa.