Sea Foam

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by AllOverSteer, Jan 18, 2006.

1. spcrollins405

spcrollins405 Veteran Member

May 14, 2011
    Stillwater, OK
    Nope. The smoke that come from the Sea Foam isn't a burning oil smoke. I see why you might have criticism though.

2. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2000
    waukesha wi usa
    Been using this stuff for years,small engines it works great,2 quick examples,20 hp riding lawnmower with hydraulic lifters one would always stick on left bank hammer to no end until oil was boiling hot,poor power added one shot glass[one ounce] to crank case and freed up in 30 seconds and has stayed freed up,thats what sold me on it,had another tractor engine with a stuck crankcase compression release same thing but it did take more than 30 second but it must really knock loose varnish. I get mine at Menards home improvement paid 5.89 just a few weeks ago on sale I tried it in the gas tank on the wifes blazer with no real results though but who knows how many cans equal the strength you get when adding it to small power driven vehicles.BTW my dad was a marvel mystrey oil user for 50 some years and never had these problems to begin with-makes you think Later Steve!!!

3. ratman79

ratman79 New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    midwest IL
    Sea Foam fixed mine

I had a car in storage for approx ten years, I had oiled the motor prior to storage and sealed the intake with duct tape. Figured it would be OK, when I put the car back in service it had miss that was caused by low compression in #8 cylinder. I figured that the cylinder must have rusted slightly and when started that the debris caused the rings to stick. I was talking with a friend telling him of my misfortune and he said to try Sea Foam. I was looking at a minor rebuild at the very least so I said what the heck. Poured a bottle in the crankcase and poured a bottle down the carb with it running. IT WORKED, and believe me I DO NOT believe in the tune up's in a can or other snake oil remedy's. I was completely amazed........

4. ThumperZ28

ThumperZ28 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Oceanside,California
    When I was working at Jiffylube I used it to do an engine flush on my 275k 1995tercel and I also did a fuel system cleaning service by hooking the vacuum cleaner to the air hose that attaches to the brake booster that runs on the intake manifold vacuum. And poured the rest in the tank......after 15min at idle I shut it off. Changed the oil hooked everything back up and wow..better than ever

5. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SA, TX
    I've used it directly in the intake to clean carbon deposits off the pistons and valves. Also added it to oil about 100 miles or so before an oil change. I just drive the car easy without any hard acceleration. The oil definetly comes out looking dirty. I've got to believe that it cleans things up internally, based on how good it works in removing carbon when entered through the intake. I don't generally believe in cures in a bottle, but this stuff works great and I'm a believer.

6. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    It is old school to poor Hd any oil,let drip what's left from oil changel down your carb while hot and running may have the same efect. will cleen out the insides of motor and unstick values, when your hands are black and greases from working on car just poor a little oil on hands rub together and then wash
    with soap and water.easyer cleened. Some where back when i had a 64 ss chevelle,about 1966 or 67,I read it some where in some kind of rod book.seemes to help keep off the carbon,,,maybe. like to see the smoke.Helps to run off the moskitors,

7. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
    ive heard trans fluid in running carb will lube/unstick lifters as well

8. Shalamara

Shalamara Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Culver, Oregon
    We use to use ATF mixed with water down carb at mid range rpm. I've used sea foam in my jeep worked ok.

9. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Leduc, Alberta
    Didn't believe in the stuff to be honest. Up here its like 18 bucks a can. Friend absolutely insisted I try it. Certainly does look like a 'miracle' snake oil, but I figured what the hell. Have a 1975 CB750 cafe'd super sport that was burning oil. Would plume smoke during every hot start, and under hard acceleration it would also trail a bit of blue smoke. Figured the valve seals were shot, and the rings wore out (is from 1975, all aluminum engine with 75,000 miles).

Added to the fuel, and a good bit to the oil. Smoking got worse. A lot worse, but I drove it anyway. Frustrated, I actually drove it harder than normal, back and forth to work. Figured whatever seal the rings had was letting go, but then after about a week of driving, it started to clear itself up. And dramatically so. It quit belching blue smoke altogether. Been running better ever since. Snake oil maybe, but there was a noticable difference. Weird.

10. Dave tabor

Dave tabor Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Illinois
    I hear it cures hemroids, the clap, and the common cold too!
    No wonder it costs so much!