Sea Foam: Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    I use it in my small engines while being stored (snow blower, lawn mower, chain saw). Keeps the fuel from turning. I have used it through the intake before but didn't see any difference after looking down the spark plug hole.

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I was thinking of using it to clean out any carbon. The videos and threads I see show it smoking a lot. GOOD! Anyway, they aren't very specific. They say to stick one of your vacuum tubes in the can but, they don't say whether to put the tube in the liquid or just hang it above the liquid to get an aerosol effect or what!
    ???

3. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Don't put it in the car. Put on the edge of car and allow it to slowly suck into line. Slightly pouring so it is always sucking in fluid.

Have done wonders on a few vehicles. I actually took photos years ago of the top of valves before and ran two cans thru a week apart and 250 miles and took photos after and looked a whole lot better.

Michael

4. Bumpad_Z28

Bumpad_Z28 Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Logan, UT
  5. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Another thumbs up for it here. Need to use it properly though.

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I have, and will continue to use Seafoam as an upper-intake cleaner, however I switched over to using Beryman's B12 in the fuel system. It actually cleared up a catalytic converter "below efficiency" code, gets me much better fuel mileage, and it about 1/4 the price of Seafoam. Give it a try in your next fill-up and see if you like it.

As far as the smoke issue when using seafoam in the intake... I guarantee you guys aint got NOTHIN on me... I used the stuff in an old Cub Cadet Super 2072 I had for a while. That old Kohler engine was so caked it was incredible. Basically I sat there hunched over the steering wheel, spraying 2 cans of seafoam into the carb and laughing as it created so much smoke I couldn't see my neighbors house! And I live on a suburban street! Gotta love it!

7. SDL73Z28

SDL73Z28 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2014
    NJ
    My first use was a few years ago running it through an '76 CB750, worked wonders and have been using it ever since.

8. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SA, TX
    I use it either through the intake to clean out carbon, or mixed with the oil prior to an oil change to remove varnish, sludge, etc. I use Lucas fuel treatment about every 5-6 tanks of gas to clean the injectors, usually see a ~2 mpg increase with the Lucas in the tank. I highly recommend either product.

9. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I'm about to try it. I was thinking, though. Could a guy just trickle a bit right into the carb?

10. cadmanmeg

cadmanmeg Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Bothell, WA
    I too use it and prefer it.