Screen Head Where Vents Go?

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Prototype4342, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    I remember seeing someone on this site with a screen head unit installed where the A/C vents would normally be on a 78-81 dash bezel. I would like pictures if possible to show my wife.

Thanks in advance

2. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    exactly! I'm not sure if that's the picture I saw but that is what i'm talking about. I wonder if it will work with a rear defrost switch and lighter as well?

3. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    anyone know how double-din stereos are held i? I could make a custom bracket if i do this but it would help to know what the stock setup is.

4. Fri

Fri Veteran Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Hampton Va
    Can you resend that link. Its not opening up.

5. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

www.crutchfield.com

6. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    I looked into doing a 2-din radio at one point. That might be do-able on a 79-81 dash, but not a 78.

And you cant use the lower dash either, unfortunately. The width of the radio (at 7 inches) isnt the problem, its the height (at 4 inches). You would have to cut out a significant section of the lower dash to get it to fit and there would be a big chunk of the radio sticking out below the curve of the lower dash.

I have been looking at 1-din flip-out display units (where the display is 2 din), but so far havent found one that would fit.

7. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    Here are the original pictures:
    [​IMG]
    And another angle:
    [​IMG]

8. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    Nothing about putting a double-din setup in our cars is "stock".

When I spoke to the owner of that car pictured in my link at a local show, I believe he had some trouble getting the radio supported. I believe he finally ended up mounting the radio into the dash, and then putting the gauge bezel on afterwards. The bezel was simply not capable of supporting the weight of a double din radio. IIRC, he supported the radio with a custom bracket bolted to the dash brackets. He said it was a pain, and he had to work hard to get it to look right with the bezel.

That is a Covans gauge bezel pictured.