Scattershield, garbage or keep?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Shields, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

Hey all, wanted to ask you folks about a used lakewood scattershield I came across for my mission to bolt up a super t10 under my 81' C10. I picked up the scattershield for $250 and noticed that it looked like it may have contained one explosion already. The very bottom holes are bent away from the mounting surface about 1/8, but the scattershield still bolts up just fine and the rest of the mounting flange is flat. Do any of you worry about runout with bellhousings? Do you think I am good to use this scattershield since it bolts up to everything just fine but has a bit of a ding on the bottom mounting flange? I jumped on this scattershield because it was about $400 less than what it costs to ship a new one up into Canada. Thank you to anyone who can offer some advice.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can you post pictures? You should check alignment of the bellhousing to the block regardless...Even if it was new. You know what they say...You get what you pay for. I honestly wouldn't even buy a New Lakewood. I prefer and only use Quicktime even though I think Lakewood owns them these days.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    I've spent hours lining up and shimming Lakewood bell housings. If you use it you are going to need to set it up correctly or you will probably have transmission problems. The Lakewood bell housings seem to be the most trouble.

4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Sounds like a good serviceable part to me...

5. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Yes verify Centerline of crankshaft 2 bellhousing regardless. I've been using one of those Lakewoods for years and it's relative pain in the ass to a regular bellhousing with all the additional bolts. It certainly provides superior protection.

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Definitely center the bell on the crankshaft. It can cause more damage than the $$$ you saved. Also, it could be 'sprung'. A friend of mine had big clutch issues with one that was sprung. If you didn't have it already, I'd have told you to pass.
    Scattercans do keep your feet/legs intact in the case of a clutch explosion. Not sure how badass your ride is though. I have one and was going to install it it my wife's 350hp 327 4-speed Nova, but it would have needed some floor mods. Really kind of overkill for such a mild engine. Just would be safer.

7. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Not only does the hole need to be centered with the crankshaft, but the transmission mounting surface must be perpendicular with the crankshaft center line. This requires shimming in some cases.