SBCfor 71’ Z28/RS

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Cooldawg, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Angola, IN
    Still struggling with what direction to go on this car. Spoke to a couple builders I like, but both would stretch the budget (need some $ left over for Tremec 5sp conversion as well). Fishing for opinions on this 400 crate. According to blueprint, plenty of vacuum for street...

https://paceperformance.com/i-23142...turn-key-crate-engine-with-chrome-finish.html

Advantages:
    aftermarket block with splayed caps/ priority oiling, etc
    Price/ warranty
    Plenty of power
    Airgap intake perfect height with dual snorkel and looks / performs well
    More cubes but the heavier block should help keep her cool using existing shroud/ radiator
    Shortblock is dynoed at BP

Disadvantages:
    External balance
    Cast crank/rods & hypereutectics
    Exhaust port shape- may be problem for hooker super comps that have been installed on the car since the original engine was pulled.
    Cam borderline for street? Don’t care to touch that hot stove again!

Looking at 383/415 from ATK as well, but leaning blueprint due largely to new/ more sturdy block and increased cubes. Roughly same money as motor above but ATK is overbored, seasoned block.

LS is out because the car is for the most part original w/ docs, and I’m hoping I can package the car with the original LT1 someday. Car has 3.73’s and will not see track.

I’m specifically interested in opinions on this cam. I believe it’s a comp cam.

Thanks!

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Several guys here have bought ATK engines. I have the HP101 with a different cam being put together now, we'll see how it goes. Brandon (Notalent) is an ATK rep and a board member.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    Seems to me you could build a nice 406 for a lot less than $6800 big ones.