SBC 350 4BM identity/ origin?

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Mullerice, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Hi all, my first post so be reasonably gentle if possible!

I've recently taken delivery of a short engine SBC 350 4BM to rebuild and have used this detailed site to work out some of the following from markings on the block:

Engine ID code: V0301TJA = Flint (engine), March 1st Conv. Cab

Casting date: B273 = February 27th 1973

VIN (partial?) RS200417MS = struggling here!

There are also the numbers 010 and 020 cast into the bell housing wall of the block - will these be an indication of tin and nickel content in the casting pour?

There is also a casting clock.

Thanks for any pointers on the VIN etc. and any info relating to the original car would be great.

Muller

2. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Some Pics might help:

IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1364.JPG

I'm a pommy from across the pond looking forward to an enjoyable rebuild project!

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Looks to be a truck engine, std. cab 1973 350 4 bbl with 160hp as stock. Showing C20 or heavier truck. Maybe a four bolt main? Good base to build up if block is sound.

4. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks Tom, really appreciate a response as I'm new to the game and trying to learn as much as I can.

The block is a four bolt main and once she's been stripped and given a general scrub up and visual inspection, I'll take her to be pressure tested and then move from there.

Being a Brit, excuse my ignorance but what is bbl and C20 referring to?

5. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Mullerice, the 4 bbl refers to the carburetor size as in 4 barrel (4 bbl) vs 2 barrel (2 bbl). The C20 designation would be the truck weight rating, C10 1/2 ton, C20 3/4 ton, C30 1 ton etc.

6. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks Dave, simples when you know it, which I do now :) With the vehicle of origin being a 4bbl 4BM heavyish truck, I'm hoping it will be a great performance core....providing no cracks.

Reading every book on SBC I can obtain, in addition to some of the other SA titles; you guys do automotive literature really, really well!

Any support during the project is well appreciated, thanks for the responses.

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    You have a great foundation for a good motor if the block checks out.

8. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Oregon
    [QUOTE="
    There are also the numbers 010 and 020 cast into the bell housing wall of the block - will these be an indication of tin and nickel content in the casting pour?
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, and they are well regarded blocks from what I have heard.

9. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks guys for the positive reassurances. I got her on to the engine stand last week and stripped the pistons & rods, crank and camshaft out ready for final rough wash out and then she'll be off to the engineers for crack testing.

The tin and nickel content info I got from the Vizard book about building SBC on a budget; it's nearly ten years old (again!) and I wondered if much has dated since then. There is a 010 under the timing chain gears which possibly means only a nickel content? Also discovered a couple of tiny cracks where the starter motor bolts to the block - see pic 1383 edit.

IMG_1383 edit.jpg IMG_1385.JPG

If anyone can enlighten me on specific block mods and component choices and compatibility over the coming weeks and months, that would be a great help. Thanks for looking.

10. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Hi again fellas, quick update and query. Had her pressure tested and she checked out fine - good news! Couple of rather strange welds though on the deck surface and we're struggling to understand why this work might have been done in the past; the welds don't run the depth of the decks so are unlikely to be crack fixes, see below:

IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1391.JPG
    Any ideas?

Had the bores measured with a dial bore gauge and seems the block has not only been bored to +.030" which I knew, but then honed again to squeeze a bit more from the block. So I'll be going for a rebore at +.040"

I've been doing some of the grind mods recommended in Vizards book which is fun in a strange kinda way. If I should be posting this stuff in a different area, a nod in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks again. Muller