Sandblast gun recommendations?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by arick793, Jan 9, 2016.

1. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I bought a used sandblasting cabinet, and the performance is a little weak... I'm thinking a higher quality gun might help? Also, what is a good air pressure to set the regulator to? Got any other tips? I'm using sand, and I also have bead blast media, it sucks with both. thanks!

2. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    I think the air system is more important.
    Can you describe what you have now? Telling you to go buy more stuff seems unproductive.
    Do you have 15CFM of clean, cool, dry air @100+PSI? You need air to blast...
    Describe the compressor, air system, and sizing.
    As far as pressure, as high as the system can handle. Blasting is shooting small rocks at something. Faster rocks knock the something off better.

3. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Good advise 71flh.

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    higher pressure just destroys tips faster

my Snap On cabinet clearly says do not exceed 80psi...my regulator is set at 70psi

the BEST investment I ever made was a carbide blasting tip - I used to make tips at work from tool steel, but they would only last 30 hours before they wore out

5. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

351maverick im not sure that is completely true with all tips. I bought my cabinet some 15 years ago with an extra pack of tip. I have alway run my pressure at 120. Now my cabinet came with ceramic tips. Over the years I have run mainly sand. For about a year I did use glass bead. Only untill about a month ago I had only used those first 3 tips. I was haveing trouble fiding tips that would fit in my gun. I had some metal tips that would fit in another gun I have, so I swapped guns around. The 2 extra tip I had for that gun didn't last a week, luckily I had seen tractory supply had the tips I need. Also let me add in the last year I have been using black buil. What im getting at evey gun is different, it like pain guns you have to play with the pressure to see what it likes.

6. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2013
    New Washington, IN
    Yep, it's all about the cfm

7. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    Also depends on what your blasting . If you blasting scaly rust gonna have to bump up the psi and run black beauty . if blasting something more fragile then glass bead at low psi.
    I agree sandblasting takes a ton of CFM . On big jobs iv'e even linked multiple compressors together and messed around with the "kick on & kick off" psi settings so they work together.

8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
  9. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    I uses TPT Tools stuff and bought my cabinet from them.

When I use glass bead, I use 80CFM.
    If I try black diamond medium at that pressure, it won't pass through very well. I am at 100PSI for the medium black diamond.

Ceramic tips seem to last pretty well.

10. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Those high flow fittings seem like a good idea, I'll have to look into that. Right now I'm just using sand in the cabinet. It works great on old paint, but struggles to remove rust.