Sand Blasters

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Camaro414, May 8, 2014.

1. Camaro414

Camaro414 New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    What are good sand blasters that are economical?

2. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    Harbor freight has a decent one

3. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    Portable or cabinet?

4. Camaro414

Camaro414 New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    I need one to sand blast my whole car.

5. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2013
    New Washington, IN
    How big is your compressor?

BTW, you don't want to use sand, but I'll save that for later.

Blasters require a ton of air. That's my problem now, I have a 6hp Craftsman compressor and it can't handle my blaster.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    For a whole car - if you don't already have the proper equipment, it would be cheaper taking it to a professional and let them blast away. IMHO.

I have the HF 40lb cabinet and my 5hp CH won't keep up.

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I bought the Eastwood tank blaster that you hook up to a compressor. I have to assume it's the same as the one at Harbor Freight. They look identical to me, minus the color difference. I have used mine extensively and it worked great, aside from the occasional clog in the hose.

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-60696-10377.html

A few tips. First, use blasting media, like Black Beauty. It lasts longer and is not nearly as dangerous as sand. Second, get some extra tips for the gun. Third, use proper respiration and get one of those blasting hoods. Those hoods come with a little window to look out of that is think plexiglass, so go buy a large sheet at the hardware store and cut your own replacement pieces since they get frosted up from the media.

Others said to take it somewhere and this can be cost effective and time effective, but it's nice to have your own blasting tank for small parts and touch ups.

8. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    For en entire car, I would highly recommend bringing to a media blasting professional. Too bad you are not near here, we have an excellent one.

I borrowed a Harbor Freight portable blaster to do my subframe. The connections and the fittings on the bottom of the tank were so, so. Not terrible, but they seemed to clog up much more that the Eastwood I finally bought for myself. The Eastwood has a better gun and the fittings on the bottom of the tank were better.

It worked great for sub frame, but I wouldn't do the whole car (I had mine done). You risk warpage for one thing, if you are not expert.

9. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    unless you have a 5hp 60 gallon commercial compressor & a big pressure pot blaster I'd let the pros do the job of a whole car

$1000 for the compressor $400 for the pot, plus the safety equipment

10. CapnMorgan

CapnMorgan Veteran Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Campbell, Ohio
    I'd soda, plastic, walnut, glass,etc.. blast the whole car then use silica sand or aluminum oxide on the rusted areas. Using harsh medias such as sand, black beauty, aluminum oxide, steel grit, etc.. on thin sheetmetal such as a vehicle will destroy it. The amount of heat, pressure, and abrasion created during blasting will warp the metal and create a deep profile that will be hard to get rid of. If you insist on doing it yourself go rent a 200-400 pound pot and 185cfm compressor. Lay down a lot of tarps to catch as much media as possible to reuse. maybe even build a small containment. I'd guess rental would be around $300/day for compressor and pot + fuel. crushed walnut shells cost about $0.50/lb bulk, I'd get at least 400lb.

The best 6hp 2 stage compressor you can find will cost about $1500 -$2000 and won't keep up with a blast system big enough to do a car in less than 10 days, but a 40lb harbor freight pot will work fine with a 5hp single stage if you blast for 20 minutes than rest for 20 minutes. This will take a long time for a whole car though.