Sagging rear bumper & sloppy tail light gaps

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by joel.hunter, Sep 20, 2016.

1. joel.hunter

joel.hunter Veteran Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    I'm not sure why my rear bumper sags. All the bolts are there and tight. Could it just be the bumper itself? It makes the rear end of the car look rather saggy and ugly and I would like to fix it if possible, without buying a whole new bumper.
    Also, there's an unattractive gap around the tail lights. I realize my deck lid is not aligned but even if it was, it would still exist. Is there any way to remedy these things to make the rear end look "tighter" and more composed? Thanks :)

[​IMG]

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Better check out the bumper in the "Who likes a good breakfast?" post! It will make you forget all about your bumper! Anyway, your fin looks a little wonky but, in this pic, your bumper looks good to me.

3. joel.hunter

Nov 18, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    On every other car I see around town, the gaps at the ends and the gap in the center are the same. As you can see, on my car, it's more than twice the gap in the center (above license plate) as it is at the edge of the tail lights. Going straight across, ignoring the little dip under the gas filler. It's not quite as visible in the picture as it is in person.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I don't know. You could try to adjust the tail lights and gas cap door. It's easy to do because the nuts turn by hand.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Maybe the bumper took a hit before. It doesn't look bad to me. But if you can't stand it Take off the cover to investigate.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    What makes it look bad (mostly) is the taillight-housing gasket has shrunk and pulled into the recess between the bumper cover and lens.

The gaskets are available as repops but even the repops are a little undersized, IMO.

7. joel.hunter

Nov 18, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    Hmm.. The "gasket" in there is rock solid and fairly small - that sounds pretty reasonable, twisted_metal. I've adjusted the tail lights (and cracked one, at it!). I'll take a look at these gaskets or maybe pull the whole bumper off again and see if there's any way I can nudge it up in the middle.
    I also need to get everything painted properly and probably get new tail lights, so that's part of it too I guess.