Rustover's 72 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Double R Restorations, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Thanks DA-bigguy and Mike.

Quote of the week. Wife walks into the garage and says " I want to work on this car to." I say "well grab a putty knife and start scrapping seam sealer". She says " NO, I want to do the fun stuff, not CRAP work".

2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    Russ use a heat gun to warm that stuff up so it comes off easier. Tell her shes using a blow dryer...maybe thats more fun for her LOL.

3. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
    That is hilarious Russ! My wife always gives me a hand when needed but she always complains that I give her "grunt work". The other day she said she wanted to try to weld. After I convinced her that she wasn't going to get shocked she grabbed the handle and as soon as she struck an arc she screamed and said "nevermind" and ran back in the house. I guess they're all the same lol.

4. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    LOL LOL that sounds like my wife when attempting to teach her to shoot a pistol. I think I'm gonna have to start with a BB gun and work back up to the 9mm

5. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Things are moving slow here. The trunk pan is on back order for a couple weeks. I'm reluctant to cut too much until I have a replacement pan here in the garage. I'm going to try to expose most of the frame rails and inner tail panel so I can get these parts coated in epoxy. I have also been scraping a lot of undercoating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't think I was going to get this part removed. I still have to do the other side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inner fender Clean up:

[​IMG]

I decided to purchase a bigger welder. I went with a 220V unit. I spent the most part of last week getting it ready to go. I finally got a cart today from Northern. Its a great little cart. I thought about building one, but I really need to focus on the car. I haven't got a chance to use the welder yet. I was missing a .023 drive roller. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I like my Miller 130, but even at the lowest setting, at times I felt it was too hot. This one is a C model for continuous and hopefully will give a little more room for adjustability as I improve my welding skills. If it doesn't work out I will use the Miller for sheet metal and this new one for larger jobs.

[​IMG]

6. gary bickel

gary bickel Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2013
    fort worth tex
    Rus you dont have to remove those brackets for rear bumper they come already on trunk pan. your taking so much out be aser to replace it all. looking good though. got mine back from body shop going to make rolling car out of it this week end. Gary B. Thanks for info on manganeze did some but came out chalky then I remembered need to use distilled water.

7. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
    Good idea on waiting until you have the sheet metal in hand before you cut out too much. That eliminates any surprises! Did you get the package tray extension? I'm jealous of the new welder!

8. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    What were you using to clean up the inner fender? Looks like a spray can of something in that pic.

9. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    That is some really great body work and welding.

10. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Thanks for the compliments guys, Tony I did get the package tray extension. Looks great, I really appreciate it.

As far as cleaning the undercoating, I have been using a heat gun and a 5 in 1 putty knife. After much of the heaving stuff is removed, I have been soaking the rest in Eastwood's Undergone. It works ok on the cleanup stage after the heat gun has removed the bulk of it. After it has soaked some, I then re-soak the area and take a maroon scotch brite pad to whatever is remaining.

Gary, I was thinking that the pan didn't come with those brackets, but I have since found out that they do. As far as the chalky bolts go, just remember as soon as they come out of the solution, submerge them in wd-40. This will displace any water. I have always mixed my solution from the tap in the house. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your car this weekend.

My main goal for now is to remove the area between the frame rails, and to expose the frame rails, tail panel, and prep these areas for epoxy. I'm going to take my time so that I don't damage anything. I would like to save the gas tanks braces, but they are welded at a pretty good angle onto the tail pan. It will be hard to get a drill in there. Maybe once I get some of the pan out of the way. I admit it would be easier to cut them, but hate to destroy them if someone might need them.

As of now I'm planning on leaving a lot of the original trunk in the car towards the back, at the shock tower areas. This area is still in good shape and I really don't want to try to separate all 3 pieces. I'm thinking I may bring the new panel most of the way around the inner fender, then just before the shock tower brace begins, bring the new panel over to the middle of the first rail, then upwards toward the back seat. This area would all be butt welded and I would only have to dress about a 3 inch long weld on the underside. The only thing about the first rail area is that the metal is not totally flat. It has several grooves in this area from being formed. The other option is to bring it most of the way around the inner fender, then over about 2 inches from the edge before I go over the shock tower. I have spent a lot of time on my back looking at this area. This is still subject to change.

I will keep you guys posted.