Rustover's 72 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Double R Restorations, Nov 3, 2013.

  1. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Charlie, yep thats my silver 81 that was in storage. It needs a complete resto. I dont think it will be as bad as the 72. I have decided to finish the 72 before I touch it.
     
  2. seventy7camaro

    seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Keep in mind, I parted out an 81 Z. Most of the stuff is going on or is already on my son-in-law's '79, but I may have something you could use. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
     
  3. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Thanks Charlie. It will be a bit before I touch that car. Once the 72 is done, I plan to have a new bath put in downstairs for the wife, then hopefully I can work on that car.
     
  4. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    This weeks progress

    Still messing with the two drivers doors that I have. I was hoping that the one I purchased was better than the one I had. I cut the skin off, I knew it would need a corner. I saw pretty much what I expected. It still seemed pretty solid, but remember that mouse nest?, well that mess must have been there a long time. When I started blasting that area, it started to disappear. I knew it was time to cut my losses and use this door as a means to repair my original.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Cut the corner out for the other shell:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    I've also been working on more bolts:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I have to get a replacement welding lens before I can weld the door. I have been trying to get all the hardware for the door internals. There is a lot of parts in these Camaro doors.
     
  5. 2nd gen man

    2nd gen man Veteran Member

    991
    6
    Nov 28, 2010
    michigan
    great work done,,,,
    will be worth it in the end,,
     
  6. Eighty1Camaro

    Eighty1Camaro Veteran Member

    616
    3
    Apr 28, 2013
    south central Indiana
    looks good, I see what you are going through with the doors. On my 81, the drivers side was trashed, door bar cut out, so i made it a parts door, I found another but it's skin was full of bondo, so I sliced the skin off, and the passenger side door was packed with bondo too. Off that skin came. it's tough finding bad on the good door and having to piece stuff together but always worth it in the end.

    Also, good work on that tailpanel, I replaced trunk floor with mine so it was just a matter of cutting it all up to get it out.
     
  7. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Been working on the metal work for the drivers door frame. I really cut this frame up pretty good. I'm glad that I had the other one as a donor. I got the new tweco mig gun hooked up to my Miller 130xp and its a different machine.

    Here is the work done to the lower part of the door. At first it just looked like a bunch of pits. The metal was really thin and I could take an awl and just push a hole in the panel.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    I had about a perfect gap in this patch. It welded up really nice. One of the things I really need to concentrate on, is getting the tack in the center of the weld line.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I then grinded the tacks down to make sure I liked where the patch was at, then proceeded to weld it.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Here is a shot of the backside of the weld:

    [​IMG]

    __________________
    Russ:
     
  8. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Overall it turned out pretty good. I did little more grinding since these pics. I had the weld still sitting a little high.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  9. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    I also got the upper corner repaired. I almost got myself in trouble when cutting the patch down to size I had a little more gap than I wanted. It was the same gap as one of these panel clamps, but it was almost difficult to weld.

    [​IMG]

    I had to start on the door frame and weld across to the patch. If I tried to start in the middle or edge, it would just blow a hole.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I then coated the parts with SEM Copperweld.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  10. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Got the weld ground down, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I'm starting to get some confidence using the welder. Its really a patience thing. Also the grinding is as important as the welding. I have purchased an assortment of roloc disc, and grinding stones. The most important thing is to go slow and don't heat up the metal. I have also starting paying attention to where I'm grinding, so that I grind only on the weld and not the surrounding metal.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Next I hope to start preparing the shells and inner skins for epoxy.
     

Share This Page