Rustover's 72 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Double R Restorations, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Here is the Moser rear end cover:

[​IMG]

The front suspension has also been rebuilt. I used mostly Moog components and rubber bushing. The subframe sits on DSE solid bushings and I'm planning on installing subframe connectors, probably Global West.

[​IMG]

I hope to be back on the body work soon.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. ezetorr37

ezetorr37 Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Ponce, Puerto Rico
    A lot of progress there, keep the good work.

3. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Yea, everybody told me this to. Now I'm taking it apart for the third time to paint.

Russ the motor is beautiful!!

4. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Engine looks sweet!! you are doing a great job!.

What brand power steering pump do you have on there?

5. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
    Looking good Russ. Keep the pics coming man! I need all the visual aides I can get lol.

6. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Thanks for the compliments guys. Doublec the power steering pump came from Summit.

Tonight I worked on the welder. I finally figured out that it had a flux core drive roller installed. I ordered the correct one for solid .023 wire and installed it. I also painted the back handle part blue. I got tired of having rusty hands every time I went to get it.

[​IMG]

I purchased a new Tweco gun for the Miller. I hoping to practice and improve my welding skills before I get to installing the new sheet metal on the car.

[​IMG]

Before I can go any further on the car I need to finish the doors and get them back on the car and aligned. My passenger side door, I got from Charlie is an excellent door. The driver side has some problems.

It never lined up to the car. It had some damage at some point. Also the lower corner was gone. I have replaced it, but once the door came back from media blasting the upper corner area was also gone. It had been fiber- glassed and looked ok. I thought it was solid metal. I have cutout the rusted area and will be patching this soon.

In this pic you can see how the gap is way off on the door.

[​IMG]

Here is what was hiding below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Separating the skin:

[​IMG]

These corners always seem to rust out. It looked good from the outside, but when I was separating the skin the fiberglass dust was flying. I knew something was hiding.

[​IMG]

patch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    When I got the drivers door back from media blasting the upper corner where the door seals sits was missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike of NY is cutting up a 70 door for another member. He is also going to cut this piece out for me. I tried to make it several times, but just could not get it right.

I was talking to a friend of mine here in town the other day, telling him about this drivers door frame, when he says, you know I pulled a set off a 73 about 18 years ago. He told me where they were at and I went to take a look. Sure enough they are early 70's Camaro doors. Not the best of shape, but not that bad either. It needs a lower corner, but the rest of it looks ok.

[​IMG]

This door frame appears to be too nice just to cut the corner off of it. The outer skin is rough, I think I will pull the skin, repair the corner, have it media blasted and use the best one. I still plan to repair the original one as well. I know someone will need it, if I don't use it. Tonight I got the glass and all the internals out of it. I was looking in the bottom corner and here is what I saw:

[​IMG]

Those critters are long gone, but can you imagine working on this thing and one of them come running across it. :eek:

8. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 26, 2007
    chicago,IL
    Critters and these projects go hand & hand. I found a skeleton of a 8" long lizard, were the kick panels go. Go luck with your project, Shawn

9. Paul1979

Paul1979 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Treasure Valley
    Good looking cars, both of them. I miss my '93 Z. Good reliable muscle.

10. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Russ... is the silver one the one you had stored? Man, that glimpse of it in the pic looks really good!