Rustover's 72 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Double R Restorations, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Lost my old threads due to an image shack problem. I finally finished the addition onto the garage early this year. I have been catching up on some things around the house. I spent the last part of the summer, working on my wife's 94 Z. I had let a lot of things go on it.

My 72 was in primer when I purchased it.

[​IMG]

It looked pretty good, and I didn't really know any better. Since then I have purchased new sheet metal for the front. I already knew I was going to re-skin the doors. As for the quarters, earlier this summer, I took a 7 inch scotch bright pad and took them down to the metal. What I found was a big old mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On both sides, they just scabbed new metal over the original rusty metal. Actually the new metal was already rusting out.

On the trunk drop off, looking through the hole you can see the original one still in place. There is actually 4 pieces of metal in the lower quarter.

[​IMG]

I've got a set of new AMD full quarters I will be installing once I finish the doors and get them back on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. 73rsltz

73rsltz Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 19, 2013
    taylors,sc
  3. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    As for the wife's 94 Z I installed a new headliner, new carpet, charged the ac, cleaned the throttle body, installed a new radio, and replaced a broken seat belt. The car has 72000 miles and I did a full detail on it.

The whole car had these micro scratches in it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I compounded the car using Norton's Liquid Ice, followed by 1 coat of Zaino Z-5 and 2 coats of Z-2. You can't get into the car without putting finger prints on the door.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    GsLawLess79 likes this.
  4. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Thanks, 73

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    In,lol.Good luck on it man.

6. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Today I worked on removing the tail pan. From 5ft it looked great, but the area below the bumper was trashed. I thought about just replacing this part, but the metal around the taillights was also rotted away. I'm also replacing the quarters, so I opted for a whole tail panel.

I drilled out the spot welds. Took me a bit to get the feel for it. I started out going a little too deep. My original plan was to take the panel off as one piece. Well that lasted about 5 minutes. With the spot welds mostly cut out and the bends in the panel, it was still very tough to separate. I then decided to do it in sections. I did the bottom first and then the top.

[​IMG]

I also planned to use my air hammer, but found myself doing more damage than good, even if I turned my air pressure down. I found the best way for me was to remove most of the metal, then go after the spot welds with a panel knife. I had more control with the knife.

[​IMG]

I would say the hardest part was trying to save the weather strip channel where it welds to the tail panel. I really took my time here. I'm dreading separating the rest of it when I do the quarters.

[​IMG]

Some good news is the inner tail panel is actually decent. The right side will need some repair, but nothing like I have seen on other projects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some bad news, the trunk floor looked really good. I hit it with a die grinder and it has been skimmed coated with filler. Just the areas I tested had lots of pits.

[​IMG]

The goal here is to finish the doors, get them installed and then cut the quarters off. I hope to have the inner structure blasted, painted and the panels done before spring. In the spring I hope to be priming and have the shell painted by summer. Stay tuned. Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sure is good to see you back Russ! Clay and I were talking at the Nationals as to whether either of us had heard from you. You have the '94 really looking good. Now it's time for the '72. Keep up the good work and I'll keep an eye on your work. Take care.

8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    The 94 does look great and I'm sure the 72 will as well. Looking forward to see your progress on it.

9. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Thanks Guys. I hope to stay on the 72 steady and get it done. Charlie I saw a pic of your cars in a magazine in the Doctors office the other day. Congrats. I was like WOW, that's cool!

10. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    For those that never seen the old thread, Just about all I like on this project is the bodywork. My advice on anybody restoring a car is to do the bodywork first. Then once you restore a part you can install it on the car. I have totes stacked on each other with new parts. The drivetrain is completed.

The engine is a 350 bored .030, that I have put a 383 kit in. It has an Edelbrock rpm heads, an air gap intake, and a Lunati cam. I have not set the valves, or installed the gaskets up top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The transmission is the original th400 that has been rebuilt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear is the original 10 bolt that has been restored with a 30 spline Eaton posi and Moser axles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013