Rust prevention / undercoating

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 80sz, Dec 9, 2015.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Are u serious about the crisco? That is what I'm thinking,cheap and car wash takes it right back off ,and I also thought WD-40 . What's the process ,heat up and squirt on ? The undercoating shops here want 400.00 dollars,seems high,there is a fluid film sprayer in area ,haven't talked to them yet.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    This, on both points.

When I installed new steering components, I didn't want to paint them so I shot them down with Fluid Film. It's done a great job so far.

3. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    No of course not :D just a joke. I know in the old days my dad and uncle both use to spray oil in their doors to try to keep them from rusting. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

FLUID FILM Sprayer in area ????

FLUID FILM is not applied like a truck bed liner such as RINOLINER !!!!!!!

FLUID FILM is an excellent rust inhibiting product that comes in aeresol cans or GALLON cans and is applied by the end user.

"FLUID FILM is formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water displacement.
    These long lasting products contain no solvents, will not dry out and will penetrate to the base of all metals, providing corrosion protection from both natural and industrial atmospheres.
    Heavily corroded and/or frozen parts such as nuts, bolts, shafts, etc. that would normally be damaged during maintenance, can be salvaged by applying FLUID FILM."

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I've found that natural SBC fluid seepage works quite well!

As long as it's covered with transmission fluid, motor oil or gear lube.... It doesn't rust! :D

So... Why did I spend all that time cleaning the underbody and fixing those leaks. :confused:

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    lol Terry, that's so true.

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    This is no classic camaro I'm driving in snow,its a 2002 base automatic v-6 with low miles,was someone's summer car. I can't afford new one so this is next best thing. I found a local shop that does fluid film,90.00 dollars for a car,I'm getting it done next week,then I'm getting some dedicated snow tires,I'm debating if I should go studs on back but then no rotate

8. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Studs will be required, used to own a 1994 v6 camaro. It would go sideways just thinking about snow or rain. Fun little car and missed. It was my wifes favorite car or a tie with the wrangler. She cried when we traded it in for our first family car.

9. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    w d 40 was made for the Army years and years ago,

is an excellent rust inhibiting product that comes in aeresol cans or GALLON cans and is applied by the end user.

is formulated from specially processed, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water displacement.
    will penetrate to the base of all metals, providing corrosion protection from both natural and industrial atmospheres.
    Heavily corroded and/or frozen parts such as nuts, bolts, shafts, etc. that would normally be damaged during maintenance, can be salvaged by applying w d 40 ,,still works for some stuff,,,,,,may be hard on paint and rubber,plastic

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada